diy solar

diy solar

Blueprint of my first install, looking for feedback

Davester

Blueprint of my first install, looking for feedback. Eventually I'll be hoping to get my install approved to backfeed my main panel, but to start, I will have solar drive my critical loads on a sub-panel.

My hybrid will allow me to turn on back-feeding the grid. I'm not sure what is involved in getting my power company to approve me for back-feeding. I'm also not clear if I can connect my 8 Renogy 100watt solar panels in series with the 14AWG cabling that they come with. My hybrid inverter required a minimum of 120V DC

Solar-blueprint.jpg

Last edited:
The hybrid inverter has a circuit breaker on the AC input. I will need to insert a circuit breaker on the AC output. My manual recommends 7AWG and 63A breaker. I think it should be 8Awg, I can't find 7AWG.

Your diagram is a great start.

Did you buy the equipment yet? There are quite a few red flags there. If so can you return it and crowdsource a bill of materials from the forum instead?

In the U.S. (Canada is likely similar) Anything grid tied will first need to pass local inspection, after which the utility will verify this before approving your backfeed.

You should verify carefully whether folks think PowMr hybrids will ever be approved for grid tie. I suspect they are barely getting UL1741SB listing, let alone the UL9540

Unclear whether Renogy panels will have the UL listing necessary for permanent installation.

Ok some answers to specific technical questions
My manual recommends 7AWG and 63A breaker.

If you are not able to find a given wire gauge you should go BIGGER not smaller.

Since PowMr isn’t the highest tier manufacturer I would not rely on them for wiring guidance.

NEC says #6 or #4 for 60A depending on wire type.

Someone’s going to chime in on how putting 4s 12v is not for the faint of heart and requires extra balancer. Also this 4 12v in series certainly will not have UL9540 (battery + inverter certification) so forget about grid tie.

You can series together with that 14 gauge wires. In series voltage adds but current takes the minimum of all panels in the string. All of your panels match so it’s fine.

100W panels are not the ones to use for permanent install. There are many reasons why people stick with the standard form factors… Great value older generation ones are in the 250-300 range. Current generation are in 350-450 range.

Back