diy solar

diy solar

BLUETTI AC200MAX ISSUES

Rocksnsalt

Solar Enthusiast
Received a few days ago, nice looking unit and well packaged.
A few issues:
1) Wrong 12v/30amp plug received in cable kit, called yesterday they’re supposed to UPS the correct one out today. (Looks like they had originally sent something for the 200P, it doesn’t fit anywhere on the 200max)

2) just connect two new 100w Rich solar panels to the ac200max.
initial wattage reading with one panel was just 77 watts though it’s a beautiful clear 84°F day and set up ideal panel oriention on my patio. The wattage dropped over minutes now reading 12w.
3) changed setup back to one 100w panel.
Reading 2 to 3watts on AC200Max screen ?
update 20 min later, still just one 100w panel connected - reading 32w.
few min later 24w.
still sunny and clear

Whaaaat

just left a message for Bluetti tech support.

Last edited:
ERROR ON MY PART… kind of

UPDATE
Talked to Victor at Bluetti, determined menu was not working correctly, had me disconnect everything and reboot.
Went to settings, I was on car charge mode, selected pv, problem solved. So it was kind of my error and also that the settings were not working correctly until the reboot.
81w with one panel now, and 164w with both panels. Yay ? ??

Overall I am liking the unit, just have to learn it and work through the bugs and lack of familiarity, and I am pleased I have been able to get help from Bluetti.

Bluetti AC200MAX was at 56% at 715 this morning. Perfectly Sunny day. Had my (2) 100w Rich Solar panels laying flat (like they will be on my van) on chair arms, charging 145-165 watts after 10am, discovered was already at 100% at 115pm. Not bad. So I took the blueetti in the house and hooked it up to my IKEA induction cooktop and sizzled up some burger which my german shepherd and I both enjoyed.

Is it just me… or does food actually taste better when it’s cooked with solar energy? ?

Last edited:
Bluetti AC200MAX was at 56% at 715 this morning. Perfectly Sunny day. Had my (2) 100w Rich Solar panels laying flat (like they will be on my van) on chair arms, charging 145-165 watts after 10am, discovered was already at 100% at 115pm. Not bad. So I took the blueetti in the house and hooked it up to my IKEA induction cooktop and sizzled up some burger which my german shepherd and I both enjoyed. Is it just me… or does food actually taste better when it’s cooked with solar energy? ?
I'm curious...I am in canada and we cannot get the AC200Max till next year (maybe)....I was looking at the AC200P but the limitations (sort of) of the 35V minimum solar input puts me off, the slightly higher inverter limits on the 200Max (2200w?), as well as I'd like to expand in the future with a B300 battery(so I can charge separately with solar as a DC source).
Supposedly one can use the B300 with the AC200P but I'm curious as to whether the AC200P firmware would recognize the extra battery like the menu with the 200Max...I'm assuming no as there is not plug between the units...it just assumes the extra battery is a charge source.
Is it worth waiting for the AC200Max? I'm wondering if they will ever make it here with all the supply chain issues which only seem to be getting worse as time goes on.
I'm mainly using it as a power outage source to run lights, fridge and maybe watch a movie on the TV.
I have one 100w potable solar panel for my AC50S for camping.
You said you have both units? do you notice the 200Max being that much better?

I'm curious...I am in canada and we cannot get the AC200Max till next year (maybe)....I was looking at the AC200P but the limitations (sort of) of the 35V minimum solar input puts me off, the slightly higher inverter limits on the 200Max (2200w?), as well as I'd like to expand in the future with a B300 battery(so I can charge separately with solar as a DC source).
Supposedly one can use the B300 with the AC200P but I'm curious as to whether the AC200P firmware would recognize the extra battery like the menu with the 200Max...I'm assuming no as there is not plug between the units...it just assumes the extra battery is a charge source.
Is it worth waiting for the AC200Max? I'm wondering if they will ever make it here with all the supply chain issues which only seem to be getting worse as time goes on.
I'm mainly using it as a power outage source to run lights, fridge and maybe watch a movie on the TV.
I have one 100w potable solar panel for my AC50S for camping.
You said you have both units? do you notice the 200Max being that much better?
I do not have both units, just the 200max. My main reason for my hesitation on the 200p was the 35v minimum charge requirement. I know that may be an issue even with (2) 100w panels that will be on the roof of my Sprinter (flat) especially in winter.
I actually emailed Bluetti about that and behold they lowered it to 10v(?) on the max. I’m sure they had similar feedback from others, but regardless it’s nice when a company listens and acts on feedback.
That and expandability were the main reasons I waited for the max.
I’m hoping to find a youtuber battery hack to expand capacity using a normal 100, 200, or 400ah LifeP04.
Did you look into the reconditioned ac200p’s mentioned on this forum a couple weeks ago? 5 or 600 that’s a smokin’ deal, not sure if they’re shipping to Canada though…

Last edited:
Thank you .... I also plan to use the system for a van, but occasionally for power outages so I don't plan on a huge solar array just yet. Bluetti suggest 2 panels might not cut it..preferably 3 to meet min requirements. If it was available in Canada I would go for the AC200Max with a B300...I think that would suffice for all needs both Van and power outages and solar Cabin requirements. I looked into the EV4 5KWh batteries and the Growatt 3000 unit and it almost works out to a similar amount of money but less portability. This is why I'm looking towards the slightly more expensive option of 200Max and B300 battery....I could easily grab the B300 and use that for a week of camping in the van with a DC fridge and LED lights with one soalr panel and cig lighter recharge....I'm kinda into the most options for the buck.
I looked at the reconditioned units but no more AC200P available....otherwise that would have been a good intermediate plan.

Thank you .... I also plan to use the system for a van, but occasionally for power outages so I don't plan on a huge solar array just yet. Bluetti suggest 2 panels might not cut it..preferably 3 to meet min requirements. If it was available in Canada I would go for the AC200Max with a B300...I think that would suffice for all needs both Van and power outages and solar Cabin requirements. I looked into the EV4 5KWh batteries and the Growatt 3000 unit and it almost works out to a similar amount of money but less portability. This is why I'm looking towards the slightly more expensive option of 200Max and B300 battery....I could easily grab the B300 and use that for a week of camping in the van with a DC fridge and LED lights with one soalr panel and cig lighter recharge....I'm kinda into the most options for the buck.
I looked at the reconditioned units but no more AC200P available....otherwise that would have been a good intermediate plan.
Yeah I guess those recon 200p units went quick. I’m looking at the EV4 5KWh batteries and the Growatt 3000 myself. I’d love to have 12kw in my Sprinter van (some actually do!) so I can run rooftop ac on a hot summer day or night, while parked.… and still have power for cooking, fridge etc. Same goes for winter camping, with an electric heater. I really don’t want to use an espar diesel fired heater. I was in a campground a while back, all the vans seem to have those nasty polluting things running. Not for me.

Last edited:
12Kw!? ouf! ...I could run my house on that...I'm looking at 5kwh..for a small cabin/house. We don't use that much....but with the AC200Max and a b300 battery...got the best of both worlds..portable (but heavy) and can use it for a small cabin power with wood heater....trips in the van with the B300....poweroutages with the combo pack of ac200Mac and B300.
I just got an email from Bluetti saying the AC200Max will not be available till March next year in Canada....given the political chaos these days I'm not sure if I'm willing to wait till then....

12Kw!? ouf! ...I could run my house on that...I'm looking at 5kwh..for a small cabin/house. We don't use that much....but with the AC200Max and a b300 battery...got the best of both worlds..portable (but heavy) and can use it for a small cabin power with wood heater....trips in the van with the B300....poweroutages with the combo pack of ac200Mac and B300.
I just got an email from Bluetti saying the AC200Max will not be available till March next year in Canada....given the political chaos these days I'm not sure if I'm willing to wait till then....
Yeah I could run my house most days on that as well.
My thought is could actually run my house off my van in power outages with a transfer switch at my panel.

12kw is likely more of a dream. But there are plenty of Sprinters out there with 10- 12kw systems.
More Realistic is I’ll probably start with one EV4 5KW battery (or similar) and build from there. Time will tell.

Reading your comments on the B300, are you thinking it can be operated independent of a “mother” unit like ac200p/max or ac300? I don’t think so.

Last edited:
That would probably suffice for the Sprinter van...I like that fact that it is all contained and then 1 Growatt 3000 panel, although that is bigger than one would wish for in a van. Those big inverters take up a lot of space...that is why I was looking at the 200Max...probably a big enough inverter for a van...all the MPPT, inverter, DC, AC all contained in one unit as well as 2000wh in case you just want to take the one unit camping.
Have you looked at the 200MAX with the EV4 5KWH battery? there must be a way of having the two work in tandem...that give you 7Kwh...plenty. and compact, modular and portable too.

That would probably suffice for the Sprinter van...I like that fact that it is all contained and then 1 Growatt 3000 panel, although that is bigger than one would wish for in a van. Those big inverters take up a lot of space...that is why I was looking at the 200Max...probably a big enough inverter for a van...all the MPPT, inverter, DC, AC all contained in one unit as well as 2000wh in case you just want to take the one unit camping.
Have you looked at the 200MAX with the EV4 5KWH battery? there must be a way of having the two work in tandem...that give you 7Kwh...plenty. and compact, modular and portable too.
It would definitely do the job.

Re
I would love to find a detailed YouTube hack on that. Have been hoping to see that soon.

Storyteller Overland Vans with their Volta Power System - this is where I came up with a “want” for 12kw.

all contained in the box on the passenger side of the rear of this Sprinter Storyteller build.

Attachments

• 82649FE1-A9B8-40B3-8954-FACC18F22A90.jpeg
    82649FE1-A9B8-40B3-8954-FACC18F22A90.jpeg
    896.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
So...I was percolating on this...what about this...take AC200Max using this cable ..P090D To XT90 (for the AC200P to a B300 battery)...then XT90 to Lug nuts onto a LiFeP04 battery (KE4 5KwH...or any size for that matter)....this would connect the 200MAX through the extra battery port to an external battery...the big thing to test would be seeing if the menu on the 200MAX sees the external battery and will charge it as well as factor in the extra power for a total capacity. The KE4 has built in BMS...hopefully the 200MAX would charge it up, and subsequently see the extra capacity for a total capacity (200Max+KE4) and then show % progress as it is discharging.
If not...could use solar into the 200Max with export of power out of the 12V 30A outlet to charge the KE4 until such time that it is charged and then the 200Max would finish charging up...providing you had enough solar going in for the day.
This is something Will Prowse could verify quickly if he wanted to hook up his system to test what caveats play out with the system... I think he has all the equipment.

1638505194781.png

so....beginning to think....what is to prevent me from buying a AC200P now...and then expand next year by buying a AC200Max...use the cables above and from Bluetti to have the 200MAx as a master and the AC200P as a slave battery? the 200P, 200MAX and the B230 battery are all about the same price...and the same size capacity...I would prefer to have the extra capability to charge the MAX and P by AC chargers as I'd have 2 now, could do solar into both, and more AC outlets...the question would be if the MAX recognizes the 200P as extra onboard battery but that is just kinda semantics and nice to have. There would be a slight increase n size and weight over the B230 battery for the extra inverter in the 200P or Max but heck..now I have two units and same amt of power for the same money essentially.

So...I was percolating on this...what about this...take AC200Max using this cable ..P090D To XT90 (for the AC200P to a B300 battery)...then XT90 to Lug nuts onto a LiFeP04 battery (KE4 5KwH...or any size for that matter)....this would connect the 200MAX through the extra battery port to an external battery...the big thing to test would be seeing if the menu on the 200MAX sees the external battery and will charge it as well as factor in the extra power for a total capacity. The KE4 has built in BMS...hopefully the 200MAX would charge it up, and subsequently see the extra capacity for a total capacity (200Max+KE4) and then show % progress as it is discharging.
If not...could use solar into the 200Max with export of power out of the 12V 30A outlet to charge the KE4 until such time that it is charged and then the 200Max would finish charging up...providing you had enough solar going in for the day.
This is something Will Prowse could verify quickly if he wanted to hook up his system to test what caveats play out with the system... I think he has all the equipment.

View attachment 74264
Yeah maybe, kind of what I’ve been thinking, but I’ll wait for someone that knows a lot more than me about this stuff to work it out and post it up.

ERROR ON MY PART… kind of

UPDATE
Talked to Victor at Bluetti, determined menu was not working correctly, had me disconnect everything and reboot.
Went to settings, I was on car charge mode, selected pv, problem solved. So it was kind of my error and also that the settings were not working correctly until the reboot.
81w with one panel now, and 164w with both panels. Yay ? ??

Overall I am liking the unit, just have to learn it and work through the bugs and lack of familiarity, and I am pleased I have been able to get help from Bluetti.
It something that happen often, too often. Utube is filled with those mistakes. One of the disadvantages of using one socket for serveral cables. A dedicated Solar socket, AC socket, Aux Socket, etc would allow for the unit to work without user making changes. They could dump some of the old outdated sockets to make room. It one of the things that causing me to pause, do more research before buying AC300MAX

Received a few days ago, nice looking unit and well packaged.
A few issues:
1) Wrong 12v/30amp plug received in cable kit, called yesterday they’re supposed to UPS the correct one out today. (Looks like they had originally sent something for the 200P, it doesn’t fit anywhere on the 200max)

2) just connect two new 100w Rich solar panels to the ac200max.
initial wattage reading with one panel was just 77 watts though it’s a beautiful clear 84°F day and set up ideal panel oriention on my patio. The wattage dropped over minutes now reading 12w.
3) changed setup back to one 100w panel.
Reading 2 to 3watts on AC200Max screen ?
update 20 min later, still just one 100w panel connected - reading 32w.
few min later 24w.
still sunny and clear

Whaaaat

just left a message for Bluetti tech support.
How do you do a reboot mines acting up also

How do you do a reboot mines acting up also
Turn it off. Let it sit a minute. Turn it on.
That’s a reboot on pretty much everything I’m aware of.

Now my bluetti seems to be shutting off ac power somewhere between 3 and 5 hrs. This is with a simple tower fan running off of it, not a big load at all. And the Bluetti screen doesn’t even numerically indicate the fan watt consumption, but available battery power drops as it should. But shutting itself off is a problem!

Last edited:

View attachment 74264
Did you ever do this, and have a link to that cable pictured?

Also, wouldn’t using that port on the AC200Max eliminate ability to charge with solar at the same time?

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back