diy solar

diy solar

Bluetti EB5000 Solar & Hernia Generator

Just got this email below.

It will be interesting to watch the kickstarter. I'm also curious about this: "(*Save more with Two-EP500/Pro's bundle)"

So, if I'm understanding correctly: this is kinda a "crossover" between a "regular sized" portable solar generator and full-blown solar backup system (like the Powerwall)... no?

1615752788140.png

I'd be interested in two of these ganged together for my cabin. My only issue would be keeping them warm in the winter when I'm not there. I've got a small 12 volt system now with a homemade insulated battery box and 100 watt thermostatically controlled ceramic heater. I could probably make a bigger box for two of these and heat it..

That is a 3KW inverter with a 50Amp charge controller and a 48V 5KWh battery... in a nice rolling case...
Seems kind of limited for $3800

DIY with GYL premade 48V 100Ah in a server rack case gets you 10KWh with 6KW inverter charger solar generator under 4200...

Last edited:
True, but my point stands, a pair of GYL rack mount batteries with built in BMS, and breakers, slid into a rack, with a inverter/charger attached would get double the wattage, and storage for only slightly more money, and as easy to set up as plugging in the cables...
Full warranty also.

True, but my point stands, a pair of GYL rack mount batteries with built in BMS, and breakers, slid into a rack, with a inverter/charger attached would get double the wattage, and storage for only slightly more money, and as easy to set up as plugging in the cables...
Full warranty also.
I love this discussion!

I'm not familiar with "GYL"... is that a brand? I can't find it... but I think I get what you're saying... basically DIY / Build-Your-Own using:
  1. Similar quality and warrantied equipment (to match what Bluetti is offering... which does have value)
  2. A couple of nice lifepo4 battery with built-in BMS & built-in breakers (which ones are comparable in quality and specs?)
  3. MPPT charge controller (which is comparable? Victron?)
  4. Inverter (what would be a comparable one?)
I guess if someone wants it with all the do-dads (wireless charger, fancy display, etc. etc. etc.) all in one fully-warrantied ready-to-go package, then this unit may be good for someone like that?

You are already too late to get the $2799 or the non bs $2800 price.
Hobotech is rolling in big piles of affiliate money today! ;)
Up to $3160 now with a free hernia thrown in to the deal.
$1,682,615 total sales today.

MPPT solar charging range on the EP500 is minimum 55V to 145V max..
The AC200 is 35V to 150V.
That 55V minimum to charge is going to cause a lot if angst and forum posts. Haha

Other than big battery capacity, the EP500 Pro's quick recharge is its best feature. Unfortunately I'll have to pay for features I don't need (bigger inverter, higher solar power capacity) to get fast charging but even so it's a good value. My use case is hurricane power backup with generator charging. EDIT: The standard EP500 can be fast charged by using the AC and PV ports simultaneously but then I'll have to buy a 1200 W high voltage DC power supply.
I agree 100 percent. Quick charging is what it's all about in this modern day and age. I'm very happy that Bluetti is one of the first manufacturers to embrace LiFePO4 technology in a commercial setting. Let's hope that this is truly a win-win for the consumer.

These look good, but what happens if a cell goes bad, or there is some other issue with the unit? Is there any provision for replacing batteries on these by the owner?

Seems like the trade-off for convenience is just too great. If these fully integrated units are going to keep getting bigger (more expensive), its a significant investment. If my little Honda generator has an issue, I take it to 3 or 4 different places to get it serviced. I doubt bluetti is going to have the a service network.

Back