diy solar

diy solar

BMS is changing settings. Why?

Watersmeet

This has happened a few times now. Suddenly, my system is off and there’s no power coming out of the batteries even though they’re fully charged. I look at a BMS app and the discharge toggle is in the off position. It turns off all by itself. Why is this happening. I’m mostly using the Overkill Solar app. Is there a setting somewhere that will cause it to change that setting to off from on all by itself? I have two 280aH packs wired together in parallel, they each have their own JBD 120A BMS and it’s happening on both BMSs. Anyone know what’s causing this?

Attachments

• IMG_5118.jpeg
    IMG_5118.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 29
Does it happen near a full charge or under a heavy load?
The BMS is going into protection for some reason.

Ok, thank you for your help. Here they are…

Attachments

• IMG_5121.png
    IMG_5121.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5122.png
    IMG_5122.png
    211.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5123.png
    IMG_5123.png
    212.9 KB · Views: 20
What voltage setpoint are you charging the batteries to?
I'm guessing one cell is running and triggering protection.
I don't see anything that stands out in your settings.
I would change your level 2 over voltage to 3650mv and under to 2500mv

Edit lvl 2

Last edited:
Yeah I’m not seeing anything that jumps out at me. I thought that if it went into protection that it would give a reason why. Go to the bottom of the home page and view/shows us the events.

Last edited:
What voltage setpoint are you charging the batteries to?
I'm guessing one cell is running and triggering protection.
I don't see anything that stands out in your settings.
I would change your level 3 over voltage to 3650mv and under to 2500mv
Say again? Level 2?

This only seems to happen when I fully charge up to 14.5v with a 20A LFP charger (Renogy). The charger’s light turns green when the batteries are full, the battery monitor says 100%, the charge controller’s display it on like it always is… then I disconnect the charger and everything turns off. I check the app and the discharge toggle is off instead of on.

This only seems to happen when I fully charge up to 14.5v with a 20A LFP charger (Renogy). The charger’s light turns green when the batteries are full, the battery monitor says 100%, the charge controller’s display it on like it always is… then I disconnect the charger and everything turns off. I check the app and the discharge toggle is off instead of on.
Can you reduce your charge to say 14.2?
No events….
Now if you didn’t do a reset, that’s just weird. It shows only one cycle.

Thank you for helping. I’m sorry but can you please tell me more specifically which settings you’re suggesting for level 2 and 3? I see trigger and delay for level 3, which is over and which is under?
For now don’t change those.

Say again? Level 2?
Edited. Thanks.
14.5v = 3.625v per cell.
Agreed with @Skypower to reduce voltage.
Almost certain a cell is running and BMS is protecting.

Your bms shouldn’t be disabling discharge at a high state of charge, unless it’s an over discharge current. That’s just weird. And the fact that it’s happening to BOTH BMS’s is doubly weird. The only thing in common is the charge and its source.

Thank you for helping. I’m sorry but can you please tell me more specifically which settings you’re suggesting for level 2 and 3? I see trigger and delay for level 3, which is over and which is under?
Did your bms com with a little two pin plug/pigtail

Last edited:
This is what I initially thought the problem would be but you have it disabled like it should be. I actually use it enabled with a toggle switch on the side utilizing the two pin plug. I was thinking of just shorting the wires on your pigtail(if you have it) and enabling the switch (when Yellow) to force the issue from a different direction. IMG_1031.jpeg
Mine;
IMG_1032.jpeg

Yes they did. Those are for if you want to wire an on/off toggle switch for the BMS, correct? I did not attach those.
You shouldn’t need to. Im just grasping at straws now. And going out and trying it here, the app can still override the discharge to off but cannot override it to on if the contact is open in the switch. So I’m low on the confidence that it’ll keep it in discharge. I’m more leaning towards the charger and how it releases when it’s done.

Back