diy solar

diy solar

BMS low temp charge protection options?

gray webber

After weeks of looking for a low temp charge protection to protect my batteries if the worst happened and my heated box fails, I have found nothing that would not pull power off the batteries to hold a relay coil on. Ok, so if I build my own batteries, is there a good low temp protection out there?
After watching dozens of YT videos I saw that Will P. Used Overkill Solar BMS that has this feature and in a quality package. Ok, but the highest current charge and discharge is 100 A at 24 volts. Not enough. Then I recall seeing where Will had paralleled two BMS units and they worked well and allowed double the charge and discharge rate.
Will two Overkill BMS paralleled work for my needs of 150-200a and still function in the low temp disconnect function?
If this can be done then I guess a raw cell battery build is in my future:)

Can be built with two BMS although I would recommend a second battery for pulling that much power.

A forum member put two BMS on the same battery. It worked. But not long afterwards, he reported that he switched to two batteries, each with a single BMS.

The low temp protection of the Overkill Solar (aka JBD) BMS does work. I tested it out on my system before putting it all in production. Since then, my Overkill Solar BMS (4s 12v 120 amp) should never have had to activate that protection. I have a warming system that is set to keep the batteries between 35° F and 45° F.

A forum member put two BMS on the same battery. It worked. But not long afterwards, he reported that he switched to two batteries, each with a single BMS.

The low temp protection of the Overkill Solar (aka JBD) BMS does work. I tested it out on my system before putting it all in production. Since then, my Overkill Solar BMS (4s 12v 120 amp) should never have had to activate that protection. I have a warming system that is set to keep the batteries between 35° F and 45° F.
I am learning so much in my drive to complete my system design.
I like the overkill units but with a charge and discharge rate of 100a I now see from the members the JK BMS has a unit with 200a rating.
It’s now down to using a JK unit on the 8s battery and could follow that up with an EPEver charge controller and use the temp settings to stop charging if the sensor reads below 1C.
Finally I’ll add heat to the insulated battery box and have three levels of safety.
Thanks to all!

Back