diy solar

diy solar

BMS on parallel battery pack

Gagile

Hello,

I'm totally beginner in this area, and this question was probably already on forum. Sorry for asking again.

On my boat I use 4 12 V batteries connected in parallel. I planing to swap them for some now ones and thinking to upgrade system with some kind of BMS.
I found that BMS on parallel system is not possible, but I'm asking again, but please with simple answer thus I'm a newbie :D
Every video on net is presenting with serial connection.
- So does it possible and make sense?
- Second question, if I want to add some more batteries in the future. Can I buy BMS for, let's say, 8 batteries and for now connect it only on 4 for now? Does make some impact in that case?
- If BMS is not possible in parallel, is it OK to use BMS that are already build in batteries?

Thanks in advance

Gagile:

First, lead acid, or lithium for your boat? If lithium, you should have a BMS.
Second, you can put a BMS on batteries in parallel. The BMS will have to be tailored to how many cells you have.
Third: Series connection is to increase voltage. IE (4) 12v in series is 48 volt.
Fourth: your example of 8 batteries, or 4 batteries can only be answered if we know what chemistry, and what type of cells. When you say "battery", do you mean a finished battery, a single cell, etc. If you are referring, for example, to an 8s BMS, that is referring to how many cells or units are placed in series. Or, 8s4p would mean 8 in series, 4 in parallel.

Adding batteries in parallel increases the size of the battery capacity, not voltage. Like a "bigger gas tank".

Keep reading and asking questions!

Thank for fast reply.

My old batteries are lead ones, and now I'm aiming for lithium.
Yes I know that in parallel only capacity increases, and that is my goal, to stay on 12 V with larger capacity.
When I say batteries, I mean a finished one.
BMS 8S for example, I mean the one with 8 red cables and one black :D

My current situation is on first picture. Only two batteries inside over the winter for bilge pump. Six, and a starter battery is out.
Goal is almost like on second picture, but only one fuse, and adding BMS.

And please if you can draw me a example how to connect the system.
Again thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20211010_123136.jpg
    IMG_20211010_123136.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211011_131906.jpg
    IMG_20211011_131906.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 7
If you are going are stay at 12V, you will need either a BMS for each set of 4 cells. or a BMS with a high enough current rating to parallel the cells that are than put in series. Either way you would need one or more 12v4S BMS

Back