diy solar

diy solar

BMS Question

Jet

Is there a BMS that allows the user to save different charge profiles and easily change between them either by clicking a button or using an app. Have 1 to charge to 75% and cut off at 25. Another to charge to 85% and another for 90. If your just running a fridge during the day perhaps you don't want to charge above 55% and resume charging at 54. Is this not what a BMS does? What device would accomplish this? Do any BMS have a low voltage alarm? Thanks in advance for all your help.

The issue with keeping LiFePO4 in the middle of its SOC for an extended time is that you lose track of the precise SOC.

There are many fully programmable BMS units available, none will do what you are asking long term.

The issue with keeping LiFePO4 in the middle of its SOC for an extended time is that you lose track of the precise SOC.

There are many fully programmable BMS units available, none will do what you are asking long term.
It wouldn't be long term. Just when I'm planning to not use much power then charge it up to 75-85 percent or more to cycle it when I plan to use power overnight or cook some food. How high and often do you need to charge the battery to recalibrate the SOC. Also it wouldn't matter if it's exactly 54-55% in my example. I was just talking about keeping the charge in the middle rather then charging it up. The exact % isn't super critical. I know occassionally I should probably charge the cells fully to ensure they are balanced. What % should they be charged to for that. Would you advise I use a active cell balancer or not?

BMS that allows the user to save different charge profiles
A BMS should not be used as a charge controller. Your charge controller controls the charging (get it?).
The BMS is pretty much a configurable safety disconnect switch. They are not designed to be used (abused) on a daily charge cycle basis.

Let’s have a look at your charge controller. What make/model do you have?

A BMS should not be used as a charge controller. Your charge controller controls the charging (get it?).
The BMS is pretty much a configurable safety disconnect switch. They are not designed to be used (abused) on a daily charge cycle basis.

Let’s have a look at your charge controller. What make/model do you have?
I don't have a solar charge controller yet. Still planning and ordering everything. I'll primarily be charging with my vehicle's battery as I drive a ton for work (hours). I ordered a Victron Ti-Smart 12/24-15 DC-DC charger. I'll probably add a removeable solar panel later. I thought the Electodacus BMS or some other one could turn the charger and/or mmpt either directly or through a relay that would shut down the charging sources. I wasn't sure if the BMS could be programmed to not shut down an inverter but just the charging sources. Unless in case of temperature or high/low cell voltage or over current. I'll mostly just be using DC at low amp most of the time probably manually turn the inverter off to save parasitic drain. I ordered a Victron Multiplus 3000.

With a Victron GX device, and a Victron shunt, I believe you could do that (I have not messed with programming assistants).

I think you can have an assistant close or open a relay when the state of charge reaches a certain level. Then I think you can have the charger stop charging on that signal. You will need to fully charge the batteries once or twice a month to reset the state of charge.

Reactions: Jet

diy solar

diy solar
Back