diy solar

diy solar

BMS Questions, unsure which brand to use, thoughts on the Victron 12/200 BMS

PeteW

I'm building a 12V, 1,120Ah battery bank using 16 280Ah Keheng cells.

I've been strongly considering the Over Kill BMS. Mostly because I know very little about BMSs, and the Overkill BMS is recommended by Will and others in the forums. At the same time I began leaning toward the Overkill BMS I was also considering building a 24V battery bank. Now, I'm pretty sure a 12 V battery bank will be a more practical way to go since it is for my Airstream trailer, which I'm rebuilding. At this time I anticipate that all of the low voltage lighting, appliances, etc. will be 12V. A DC to DC converter just adds another layer of complexity and something else to go wrong. I intend to keep the shore power 120VAC, 30Amp. The trailer is still gutted. I will be redoing the entire electrical service for both AC and DC.

Just this past weekend someone suggested I consider a Victron BMS. I am considering a Victron Energy Hybrid 3000W inverter and solar controllers, shunt, etc. Nothing, is set in stone. For my solar set up, all I have at this point are 16, 280AH Keheng LiFePO4 cells, and 8, Rich Solar (RS-M100, VOC 22.8V) 100W Mono-crystalline PV panels. I've purposely waited to buy solar controllers, BMS/s, and components while I learn more about them. For me it's still all a bit over whelming, but little by little I'm digesting it. I'd appreciate some feed back on this topic, particularly about BMS brands. I do know that I want temperature sensing capability and Bluetooth capability. The Victron Energy 12/200 claims to be able to monitor and control energy coming from the 12V alternator. In my case this would be from the tow vehicle, since I the Airstream is a trailer. I haven't read enough yet to understand all of this completely. That said I know a lot of you have a very good understanding of all of this. I'd like to hear from you.

What I read:

The Smart BMS 12/200 is an all-in-one Battery Management system for Victron Lithium-Iron-Phosphate (LiFePO4) Smart Batteries.

It is my understanding that Victron splits typical BMS functions between their Smart Batteries and this BMS. On or the other does not provide a complete solution unless paired together.

Please post a picture of the ac/dc distribution panel in your trailer.
I want to determine if you have 30 or 50 amp panel.
Also want to determine the amp rating on the ac to dc converter.
Finally I want to see the breaker and fuse maps.

Hey John, Thanks for your help. Per your suggestion I've moved the BMS questions to this new thread, which I should have done to begin with. I've also copied your response from the original thread. I hope it works. I'll also respond there with a link here to hopefully get you to the right place. I added some clarification to my opening statement in this thread based on your questions.

I can't furnish a picture as the interior is gutted this is a rebuild. The trailer was had a 30Amp 120V shore power connection and I'm going back with the same. I do not have a need for a 50Amp service. There is no AC to DC converter and there are no breaker and fuse maps.

You mention a hybrid inverter.
Hybrid usually means a grid tie inverter which is probably not what you want.

I suspect you want an inverter/charger.
Please provide product links from the Victron website to the inverter.
If you have a 50 amp panel this one is the Cadillac option.

If you have a 30 amp panel this one is very nice, a little cheaper and probably easier to source.

Both of those units are 3000VA which is roughly equivalent to 2400 watts.

You are correct, my plan is to install an inverter/charger. I think the 12V 3000VA is the size I want. I've heard them referred to as hybrid, although that was a few years ago.

To charge via the tow vehicle alternator the orthodox choice is an isolated dc2dc charger.

How much spare alternator capacity do you have?

So, to further reveal my ignorance, I don't know my alternator's spare capacity. I'm just wading into this end of the pool. Which is why I haven't purchased any of these components yet.

The reason I'm curious about the Victron 12/200 BMS, which was recently suggested to me by someone else with a brand new Airstream, is it's claim to coordinate charging via the alternator. I do not claim to understand. I'm hoping to learn. As I mentioned above I've been considering the Overkill BMS mostly because others have recommended it. I'm still in the learning phase of all of this.

Lets address the top balance and bms topics in separate posts.

Done: I hope it worked.

What I read:

The Smart BMS 12/200 is an all-in-one Battery Management system for Victron Lithium-Iron-Phosphate (LiFePO4) Smart Batteries.

It is my understanding that Victron splits typical BMS functions between their Smart Batteries and this BMS. On or the other does not provide a complete solution unless paired together.

Well, that answers that then! Thank you. The guy that told me about it has victron batteries, but I'm not sure he realized I needed to have Victron batteries to use the BMS.

If you have to time could you please check this thread and let me know what your think. It's a continuation of the top balancing we were discussing. https://diysolarforum.com/threads/t...-4-cells-at-a-time-questions-about-bms.48797/

I suggest you don't top balance the batteries until you have the bms(s) to make batteries.

Leaving them top balance full for weeks or months is slightly hard on them.

Here some doco to help you top balance your cells https://diysolarforum.com/resources...ls-using-a-low-cost-benchtop-power-supply.65/

Thanks. I actually have thoroughly read that paper and I felt that I understood it. I did not see what you've informed me mentioned, but I have not top balance them full at this point and now I won't. I will wait until I get my BMSs to go further down that road. I'm still working on wrapping my head around the BMS, chargers and Solar Controller parts. I know I have a lot to learn, I'm willing. I'm very open to any reading that you think would be helpful. If you mention something that I've already read I'll tell you. I'll also tell you if I understood it or still have questions. Deal?

Back