diy solar

diy solar

Victron - JK-BMS communication

Refinished

Shocked and Amused
I'm hoping to jump into some of the newly possible integration between devices. I am very confused about how all of this might fit together,

I have:
  • 2x Victron SmartSolar MPPT SCCs
    • with VE.direct USB cables
  • 1x Victron MultiPlus 24/3000/70
    • with a VE.Bus connection to a MK3-USB interface
  • A RaspberryPi with VenusOS and a touchscreen
    • The Victron devices are all connected to the RaspberryPi via USB
  • An SBMS0 BMS
    • Wired to the MultiPlus to dis/allow charging/inverting based on cell-level thresholds
    • Wired to shunt to enable SOC tracking
All of this works great, but the BMS and the Victron gear are unaware of each other except for the simple open/close contacts that the SBMS0 does to signal the MultiPlus. I'm hoping to take out the SBMS0 and drop in one of the new JK-BMSs. That brings some interesting possibilities and my older cells can really use the active balancer. Do I need one of the 'Peter' boards I've seen? Do I need a CAN hat for the Pi? Does the VenusOS serial battery driver play a role? Keeping this simple so I have few things to remember and care about is a key goal, but it's not clear to me how simple I can make integrating the BMS and the Victron gear. Can anyone help me sort this out?

I use it to connect my JBD BMS to an RPi running Venus OS. Use a UART to USB module. Works great.

No smart shunt in your system?

I’ve had success in the shunt telling the SCC the proper battery voltage, then the SCC throttles back charge current as the pack gets up to 100%.

All done via smart network.

I use it to connect my JBD BMS to an RPi running Venus OS. Use a UART to USB module. Works great.
Does this type of connection bring any limitations in over a RS485/CAN connection? This is a key part of my confusion. If it's this easy, then great!

No smart shunt in your system?

I’ve had success in the shunt telling the SCC the proper battery voltage, then the SCC throttles back charge current as the pack gets up to 100%.

All done via smart network.
Nope. Installing one was not worth it for my needs given my current system. The MultiPlus does have no-load voltage sensing capabilities that get sent to VenusOS. I don't think I'll need any shunt other than the one integrated into the BMS once the new JK-BMS is installed and the SBMS0 removed.

Does this type of connection bring any limitations in over a RS485/CAN connection? This is a key part of my confusion. If it's this easy, then great!

It is a bit of a headache to figure everything out and get it properly configured if you want to engage actual BMS control of the system, but it's not that bad. It depends on how fancy you want to get.

if you simply want to configure min/max cell voltage and maximum charge current limit, it's a piece of cake. It has means for customizing currents based on voltage and temperature gradients as well as a means of actually entering a float mode.

My main system is a Batrium on VE.CAN with a CCGX, and the only difference is in the degree of features offered by the BMS/driver. If I had to shitcan the Batrium for some reason, I would immediately deploy my 14S JBD for GX comms.

I would NOT trust the supported BT connection to the RPi for GX control, but for monitoring/logging I would.

Nope. Installing one was not worth it for my needs given my current system. The MultiPlus does have no-load voltage sensing capabilities that get sent to VenusOS. I don't think I'll need any shunt other than the one integrated into the BMS once the new JK-BMS is installed and

GX will see SoC if you use the serial driver.

the SBMS0 removed.

YAY!

It is a bit of a headache to figure everything out and get it properly configured if you want to engage actual BMS control of the system, but it's not that bad. It depends on how fancy you want to get.

if you simply want to configure min/max cell voltage and maximum charge current limit, it's a piece of cake. It has means for customizing currents based on voltage and temperature gradients as well as a means of actually entering a float mode.
This seems to be the best route. Thx for the input.

Back