diy solar

diy solar

Borg bus skoolie

Borgbus.FB

Ok .I need to clean up some of my ideas . If I have a mpp 24mse1 3kva 2400w 40a charger 230vac wall box and 10x 240w panels with 37.2v voc 30.4vmp max7.9amp max volt600 and use 6 marine battery 950cca 195 cap in 3 pairs for 24v...can I just hook it all up and add a 24v to 12v step down in the AC out cord and how big does the stepdown need to be ? Yes I know a ton better things to use but I got what I got to work with ..any points I need to know would be greatly appreciated . Thanks Alan .

Don't step down, keep it all 12v.

Sure, you have what you got and I love obtainium.

The 24v Mppt your having is killing your setup.
The inverter is 12v. (?? yes ?)

Usually the inverter is more expensive and potentially using higher capacity, so that one should be leading.

You will lose about 10% of solar when converting the output of the MPPT to 12v, and probably run into problems for the charge stages.

PWM controler is CHEAP! (About $15 for your setup.)

For sure, it will perform less then Mppt, but will perform better then Mppt with step down.

From your post I think you not yet own step down converter.

3000va, 2400w, ;we talk about 125A step down from 24v, if you really want to use 2400w.
If your max is 500w, 30A would be enough.( !! When you use more then the 30A, you probably will fry the step down)

Probably step down converter will cost you more than a replacement for the MPPT, and be overall more energy efficient.

Seems to me that you are going to buy something extra to make the setup work.

Last edited:
Back