diy solar

diy solar

Building Hand Truck system and need some help

barCartsNJ

Hi All,

I'm very new to solar and am currently building a battery based system for a mobile trailer we plan to rent out for various purposes (bartending, tailgaiting...etc).

I've done a fair bit of research and believe I have my setup correct but I could really use some help from the community here. I've attached a diagram of how I plan to wire up this system to the trailer.

Essentially I'd like to be able to plug the hand truck in to the trailer via a 50amp RV connector and have the main panel live inside the trailer. When not using the hand truck, I'd like to be able to charge the battery using a 15 amp circuit.

I'm using the EG4 6500 inverter and the EG4 LifePower 4.

Could someone help me out and let me know if this seems right, am I missing components in the system or should I just re-think the whole thing :) ?

Thank you!

Attachments

• POWERTRUCK.png
    POWERTRUCK.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 46
I don't feel comfortable advising on something that will be used by various people that may have no clue about the potential energy they are using and how dangerous it can be (I'm talking about the customers renting the trailer...)

How do you plan on ensuring there is proper grounding and fault protection as well as any neutral ground bonds being handled properly?
Have you done any type of load calculations to determine how much battery storage you will need? What if someone plugs a couple space heaters or portable A/Cs in?...

I'd recommend you do some more homework on the 6500ex and steer you towards a great company called Current Connected, especially If you want long term reliability and trouble free performance with excellent support in the rare situation it's needed.

I don't feel comfortable advising on something that will be used by various people that may have no clue about the potential energy they are using and how dangerous it can be (I'm talking about the customers renting the trailer...)

How do you plan on ensuring there is proper grounding and fault protection as well as any neutral ground bonds being handled properly?
Have you done any type of load calculations to determine how much battery storage you will need? What if someone plugs a couple space heaters or portable A/Cs in?...

I'd recommend you do some more homework on the 6500ex and steer you towards a great company called Current Connected, especially If you want long term reliability and trouble free performance with excellent support in the rare situation it's needed.
Thank you!

So from a load calculation perspective I’ve done all that work. I’m good for about 8 hours on a full charge which leaves me a 25% capacity left in the battery.

You raise some very valid points about the grounding situation and customer safety. I did intend to be there to handle the setup of the unit but that doesn’t mean people won’t hang around (kids and such) and touch things.

So if you were me, would you move this system to the inside of the trailer to prevent tampering from the “customer”?

I’ll do some homework on the grounding situation…

Thank you!
You're welcome.
So from a load calculation perspective I’ve done all that work. I’m good for about 8 hours on a full charge which leaves me a 25% capacity left in the battery.

You raise some very valid points about the grounding situation and customer safety. I did intend to be there to handle the setup of the unit but that doesn’t mean people won’t hang around (kids and such) and touch things.

So if you were me, would you move this system to the inside of the trailer to prevent tampering from the “customer”?
Absolutely, especially if you had someone like me as a customer ?. If everything were hidden inside with a few wet location receptacles on the outside to plug stuff in it would be a lot less tempting to touch things...
I’ll do some homework on the grounding situation…
Have fun. My head still spins at times and I've been reading posts for over a year from experts on here. At this point I wouldn't call it grounding, if I understand correctly bonding is the better term.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Sounds like an interesting project. Do you already have the trailer built out? Are you renting the trailer, or your services utilizing the trailer? Not that it matters, I’m just curious lol. I guess it could make a difference in regards to where and how your inverter is located and who’d have access though.

An RV outlet is usually a NEMA 14-50R-- 120/240V. That requires two of the EG4-6500 for 120/240V. Potentially a better solution is a pair of EG4-3kW units; they are much smaller physically and should be better matched to a single 5kWh battery. I think the battery is likely undersized though; the EG4 battery is only rated [/recommended] 30A discharge (1.5kW).

Your hand truck is quickly going to hit 300lbs though.

Another approach would be to have all the power electronics accessible only from one exterior door to keep it safe from untrained fingers.

If you decide to go split phase on a budget check out the SRNE ASF 10kw, I have a thread about it, otherwise I still recommend CC as mentioned above.

Edit - check out CC savings shack for an insane deal on the LV6048, split phase 3kw per leg.

If you decide to go split phase on a budget check out the SRNE ASF 10kw, I have a thread about it, otherwise I still recommend CC as mentioned above.

Edit - check out CC savings shack for an insane deal on the LV6048, split phase 3kw per leg.
You gotta stop man. Everyday I get closer to buying one because of you ?

Hi All,

I'm very new to solar and am currently building a battery based system for a mobile trailer we plan to rent out for various purposes (bartending, tailgaiting...etc).

I've done a fair bit of research and believe I have my setup correct but I could really use some help from the community here. I've attached a diagram of how I plan to wire up this system to the trailer.

Essentially I'd like to be able to plug the hand truck in to the trailer via a 50amp RV connector and have the main panel live inside the trailer. When not using the hand truck, I'd like to be able to charge the battery using a 15 amp circuit.

I'm using the EG4 6500 inverter and the EG4 LifePower 4.

Could someone help me out and let me know if this seems right, am I missing components in the system or should I just re-think the whole thing :) ?

Thank you!
From a security and safety perspective I would suggest an attached semi permanent install. Something that would deture theft and contact with or by the customer. I am a fan of the portable hand truck power allowing for use elsewhere. I have one myself and when not out in the field it runs my home entertainment on a daily bases.

Back