diy solar

diy solar

Buried line from panel to house

Roswell Bob

Solar Enthusiast
I am picking out wire for underground run. I think either one of these would fly. The stuff is a little pricy - glad it's only 150' run.
I just want to get some more eyes on it before I pull out the credit card. I will probably go with nassaunationalcable.com as they are close. Comments are what I am looking for. Thank you - Roswell Bob

XLP USE-2 RHH RHW-2 or​

XHHW-2 COPPER BUILDING WIRE CONDUCTOR​

Let's also be specific... underground in conduit, not just buried bare.

THWN is what I know is correct. XHHW-2 should also work based on what i'm seeing online. you need wet rating at 90degC.

You might consider conduit as well. This is very useful when digging by shovel or excavator later on to have a chance to protect the wire. In fact this happened to me - I put wire in conduit and 9 years late when adding rain harvest / digging with an excavator I hit the plastic conduit and was able to save the wire without slicing thru it - and finally, this year, used it to power a shed :)

Let's also be specific... underground in conduit, not just buried bare.

THWN is what I know is correct. XHHW-2 should also work based on what i'm seeing online. you need wet rating at 90degC.

Thank you - the comparison should be just what I need. Yes, conduit is the flexible NM type from Southwire.

You might consider conduit as well. This is very useful when digging by shovel or excavator later on to have a chance to protect the wire. In fact this happened to me - I put wire in conduit and 9 years late when adding rain harvest / digging with an excavator I hit the plastic conduit and was able to save the wire without slicing thru it - and finally, this year, used it to power a shed :)
Yes. I hope I don't have to do anymore digging after this! But if I do conduit will help

When you start backfilling the trench, after you get about a foot of dirt covering the conduit, lay down yellow plastic caution tape the length of the trench then finish filling. This is in no way required, but years later when you’re digging and you hit yellow caution tape you know you’re near a buried electrical line.

When you start backfilling the trench, after you get about a foot of dirt covering the conduit, lay down yellow plastic caution tape the length of the trench then finish filling. This is in no way required, but years later when you’re digging and you hit yellow caution tape you know you’re near a buried electrical line.
I like that idea.

I believe some MC cable is also wet rated for direct burial.
Thank you - the comparison should be just what I need. Yes, conduit is the flexible NM type from Southwire.
Um…. No. Nm-b is standard “romex” and is NOT direct bury or rated for conduit. You need individual wires if running in conduit. Wires need the air gap to stay cool

Have maybe 250' of the stuff in the ground right now, but it is in conduit. It was $1.45' when I bought the first run, not that price any more. It's triplex, so you get an extra wire with each run. I separated the ground from the twist and only ran two wires and now have enough of the smaller ground wire to feed from another solar array.

This is such a great idea it should be required by law for all utility companies to do. Wouldn't help with huge excavators, but it would almost guarantee an end to any sort of hand tool accidents. Even an auger would probably grab the tape and pull it up to where you might notice it.

This is such a great idea it should be required by law for all utility companies to do. Wouldn't help with huge excavators, but it would almost guarantee an end to any sort of hand tool accidents. Even an auger would probably grab the tape and pull it up to where you might notice it.

It was required here in Ohio when I did the underground service to our house about 15 years ago.

It took 3 inspections. One for the trench, one for wire covered with dirt and caution tape on top and a final fill inspection. Unfortunately it took about a week since the AHJ had to come back each time and was always busy the next day.

I think that red caution tape printed with some warning is code now in USA. My AHJ required it.

Have you considered aluminum URD service entrance cable? It can be used direct burial and conduit is pretty high right now.
That’s what I used. Aluminum URD SER 4/0.

Much easier than trying to pull something else through 200’ of conduit.

Saw Engineer775 put down trench tape so did the same.

I believe some MC cable is also wet rated for direct burial.

Um…. No. Nm-b is standard “romex” and is NOT direct bury or rated for conduit. You need individual wires if running in conduit. Wires need the air gap to stay cool
NM is Southwire non-metallic conduit-down 18". 1" conduit with 5x #10awg. 2 Red, 2 white and a green. White is for grounded PV system. Green not required, but thought it might come in handy to tie MOVs to service enterance ground. Current is about 17amp in the #10 so I am not concerned with temperature .

Back