diy solar

diy solar

Buyers Remorse? - I just ordered 5 * 'NEW 8 Pack SAB 3.2v 55ah 176wh 60280 Cells' from Battery Hookup

Super cool! Did you download the STL file for that or design it yourself? Is it shared anywhere? I'm not a 3D printer wizard but I have one and would like to give that a go...

Super cool! Did you download the STL file for that or design it yourself? Is it shared anywhere? I'm not a 3D printer wizard but I have one and would like to give that a go...
I actually scaled and stretched an 18650 holder I found on thingiverse. But someone on fb diy battery group posted a model they made. I'll try to find it.

I have the BH kit and measured out the tinned copper buss bars, so I can make a second set for the battery only get I also purchased. If anyone would like my diagram with all the measurements I will post it here. I have measured all the bars and the aluminum washers supplied to help reduce the need for electrolysis suppression greases. I created the file in Word if you have any problems opening it let me know and I can save it in a different format.

I have the BH kit and measured out the tinned copper buss bars, so I can make a second set for the battery only get I also purchased. If anyone would like my diagram with all the measurements I will post it here. I have measured all the bars and the aluminum washers supplied to help reduce the need for electrolysis suppression greases. I created the file in Word if you have any problems opening it let me know and I can save it in a different format.

Would really appreciate if you posted the diagram.. About to buy 3 sets of these battery cells and will DIY the buss bars and some kind of holder.

TY!

I will link the cut files for the busbars once I get them CNC'd, the stl files just depend on what configuration you want them in, I settled on 60.5mm for a good fit with PLA

1634553543017-png.69261

I am still printing and playing with designs before I finalize one, the goal is to be able to wall mount these on some concrete board, 60 lbs isn't too heavy but the stress angle with the weight hanging out there can be a lot.

What material/thickness busbars are you machining? What is the hole spacing?

What material/thickness busbars are you machining? What is the hole spacing?
1/8th aluminum, ~ 40mm x 105mm, ~ 140amp handling (should typically do about 25-30 amps on this battery but technically 2c discharge would put us up at 110 amps.

64.5mm hole spacing but that is a determined by the design of your 3d printed holders, the batteries are almost exactly 60mm. I am oversizing the holes in one direction from 12mm to 13mm to allow for a little flexibility in alignment without reducing contact too much

Last edited:
Would really appreciate if you posted the diagram.. About to buy 3 sets of these battery cells and will DIY the buss bars and some kind of holder.

TY!

TY!

Attachments

• 3.2V sab 55AH lIFPO4 bATTERIES.zip
    177.3 KB · Views: 27
I hope this drawing will help you. If you need any measurement or I failed to include any measurement just ask. I do have a question for the forum, I have nut on One cell that will not come off or loosen. I have a 19mm open end wrench that I have cut both sides of the face down to a 3.2mm thickness centered to the handle of the wrench. By centering the cut it keep all pressure down the center helping to eliminate any twisting while applying pressure.

I can not get One of the nuts loose much off the stud. It is locked all the way down against the stud head. Does anyone know what might have been used one these originally. I can not apply heat, or freezing because they would not be good for the battery. I do not want to have to cut off this original nut to move at all. I have applied a lot of torque so much I worry I might strip or damage the studs threads. Anyone out there with any ideas other than cutting the nut off in pieces please post them.

I hope this drawing will help you. If you need any measurement or I failed to include any measurement just ask. I do have a question for the forum, I have nut on One cell that will not come off or loosen. I have a 19mm open end wrench that I have cut both sides of the face down to a 3.2mm thickness centered to the handle of the wrench. By centering the cut it keep all pressure down the center helping to eliminate any twisting while applying pressure.

I can not get One of the nuts loose much off the stud. It is locked all the way down against the stud head. Does anyone know what might have been used one these originally. I can not apply heat, or freezing because they would not be good for the battery. I do not want to have to cut off this original nut to move at all. I have applied a lot of torque so much I worry I might strip or damage the studs threads. Anyone out there with any ideas other than cutting the nut off in pieces please post them.
I had to use a socket on an impact drill for a few, and one I had to put a wrench on it and do a sharp blow on the end of the wrench.

I missed address n g the copper tinned bus bars are 28mm will 2.3mm thick all copper they just look at k like AU.becased they Are pre tinned to further reduce problems.

There are metal posts on one end and aluminum on the other with matching nuts. I have 64 of these cells and found you get binding when you put the metal nuts on the steel posts. Keep your nuts in the right place.....

There are metal posts on one end and aluminum on the other with matching nuts. I have 64 of these cells and found you get binding when you put the metal nuts on the steel posts. Keep your nuts in the right place.....
There are also some that come with different style of nuts, most of them take a ~22mm wrench, but others take a 17mm I believe. I have taken over 800 nuts off at this point and can agree on the different types, you can tell by the sheen of the metal on the posts as well.

I have also purchased two boxes 16 total for a 16s1p 48 volt battery bank (BH) for a four wheel bicycle car i am building. the BMS is of from (OS) at 100 amp but i over killed the bus bars at 1 1/2 inch wide having ordered the 1/8 th inch bars off of ebay and modding myself. a 1/2 inch drill bit on a hobby WEN table top drill press worked just perfect. the 16 60280's will be in a 8s2p setup but in 16s config 8 up and 8 back with 15 bus bars. this gives me a 5 X 20 inch battery before plexi that will fit just fine in the battery box behind the seat.
i will enclose it in clear plexi with an Anderson connector for maintenance reasons. the charger and car will have Anderson connectors also for plug and play.
all in all i simply love these 60280's and look forward to more project with them.

PS. Found 2s2p 4 cell stl on the net i am using. will add to attached file. hope it will help someone. also at thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4983617

Attachments

• 60280 v1_2.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I hope it's OK to bring resume this conversation. I have some of these, and one 8 cell battery has been paralleled with 20AH of 2170 packs in test (which is accumulating solar power from at most 600 _nominal_ watts of panels, and then running 24V mobile refrigeration, an inverter to make tea and cook the occasional meal, and such) for a while. I don't have any numbers direct numbers, but it hasn't failed me yet. I have seen a little over 1KWH out of the inverter, although most days are less, and, although I've heard a low voltage alarm on a morning or two, never run them to low voltage cutoff. The average load, overnight, is under about a 100W, probably over about 50W.

All that says to me (bear in mind that this is my first test on this scale) that they held up reasonably, even though I kind of beat them up by charging them a little over 28V too many times. A comment on a battery group on FB makes me think I might be able to buy more of these soon. I think they might be OK for my kind of application (low charging rates = under 0.5C, low to moderate discharge rates perhaps just a few amps over 1C, for short periods).

I like the cylindrical cells, they are easy to connect (after I figured out that the required nuts are metric) and the cylinders leave room for some air circulation. Does anyone know anything I might be missing?

Back