diy solar

diy solar

Buying a used Victron SmartShunt

Tripplett

I've found a used Victron 500A SmartShunt for sale locally and the price is 1/3 of a new one. Listing says it's an 'open box' and brand new. Is this too good to be true?
I'm only in the planning stages of my small 3-6kW solar w/48v off grid system but I know how useful having a good shunt is. Perhaps there's a way to test this easily upon inspection...
Thanks for any input.

Last edited:
I've found a used Victron 500A SmartShunt for sale locally and the price is 1/3 of a new one. Listing says it's an 'open box' and brand new. Is this too good to be true?
I'm only in the planning stages of my small 3-6kW solar w/48v off grid system but I know how useful having a good shunt is. Perhaps there's a way to test this easily upon inspection...
Also are these only rated in amps so the battery voltage doesn't matter?
Thanks for any input.
May be an Amazon return, thats been auctioned off and auction buyer is trying to resell for profit.

check the item to verify it is the correct item. I frequent a local auction that gets bulk store returns and it's common to find knockoffs repackage in branded boxes that were returned to big box stores.

Example when I see a ECOBEE thermostats pop up, it's very common to find a 1st generation ecobee in a 4 or 5th generation box that was returned to big box store and marked defective.

May be an Amazon return, thats been auctioned off and auction buyer is trying to resell for profit.

check the item to verify it is the correct item. I frequent a local auction that gets bulk store returns and it's common to find knockoffs repackage in branded boxes that were returned to big box stores.

Example when I see a ECOBEE thermostats pop up, it's very common to find a 1st generation ecobee in a 4 or 5th generation box that was returned to big box store and marked defective.
Ah, yea I didn't even think about returns, defective units, and swapping older for newer scams. I do see there is an older version of the shunt.
"Note that up until 2020, the SYSTEM MINUS connection was labelled LOAD MINUS"

For testing can I power the shunt with a small 12v garage door backup battery with just two alligator clips to the shunt? Negative end to MINUS BATTERY and the positive to the red plug in wire to Vbatt + (nothing attached to SYSTEM MINUS)? Thanks

For testing can I power the shunt with a small 12v garage door backup battery with just two alligator clips to the shunt? Negative end to MINUS BATTERY and the positive to the red plug in wire to Vbatt + (nothing attached to SYSTEM MINUS)? Thanks
Yes.

If you can bluetooth to it and see a voltage readout on the app I would trust it to be good.

I just thought of something. Make sure it says victron on it. There is a knock off that looks EXACTLY like the victron smart shunt but cost $40 or something. I don't think it will work with the victron app and the plug on it flat out will not work at all for external monitoring.

I just thought of something. Make sure it says victron on it. There is a knock off that looks EXACTLY like the victron smart shunt but cost $40 or something. I don't think it will work with the victron app and the plug on it flat out will not work at all for external monitoring.

I think this is the one you are refering to?

If so you are correct it does not work with the victron app. They have their own app and it is not as nice. I have one that I got before I got the real deal.

Back