diy solar

diy solar

Buying house with solar - advice sought

DavidP40

Hi! Considering a house with solar panels on the roof but without experience it's hard to know what the pitfalls are going to be!

Here's what I know:

- no "rent a roof" scheme - the panels etc. are included in the sale
- they were fitted in 2011 and the installer's documentation and guarantees are in the property
- Reading these, there are 22 panels, it's rated as a 3.9kW system.
- There's a Growatt inverter on the garage wall and I can see an Elster A100C meter next to the CU. Didn't spot any other equipment other than a number of rotary switches.
- The documentation says "you should apply for FIT with your energy supplier" but there's no actual documentation about the FIT registration
- it's a probate sale, so quite likely difficult to get the sort of info you might ask of an in-situ owner

I can see how FIT works, and that the FIT rates in 2011 were very healthy, but it's a worry that there's no documentary evidence of the registration. No idea if the system is working either. Not much idea about how this system would have operated either - Google can tell me about current solar installations, but I imagine things have moved on.

What should I be asking and worrying about in this situation?

TIA
David

Welcome!

Overall, this should be seen as a positive...

- no "rent a roof" scheme - the panels etc. are included in the sale
That's good. But when you get to conveyancing, check that there are no loans outstanding on the panels (as was common back in 2011). If so, seller will need to settle outstanding loan from proceeds of sale.

- they were fitted in 2011 and the installer's documentation and guarantees are in the property
Possibly useful, though installer's business has probably long since disappeared / gone bankrupt.

- Reading these, there are 22 panels, it's rated as a 3.9kW system.
- There's a Growatt inverter on the garage wall and I can see an Elster A100C meter next to the CU. Didn't spot any other equipment other than a number of rotary switches.
Makes sense for standard FiT install of up to 4kWp panels and an inverter than can export 3.6kW under previous G59 (now G98) compliance.
Meter will likely be export meter for FiT payments.

- The documentation says "you should apply for FIT with your energy supplier" but there's no actual documentation about the FIT registration
The payments were very generous back in 2011, so highly unlikely the previous owner didn't receive them. They are valid for 20 to 25 years, so well worth pursuing. IME, it can take a long long time (like a year+) to get the FiT payments transferred to you, but should be possible and payments will be backdated. You will need to take readings (preferably photos) of import and export meters at time of completion. You don't have to transfer the FiT payment provider to be the same as your energy provider. Ofgem regulates FiT payments and may be helpful in finding out your existing FiT provider for you to provide documentation / proof of ownership to. You will likely need to provide documentation from your conveyancers to show you own the property. But well worth pursuing with as you will likely get £1000 - £2500 per annum back in payments for a 4kW system installed in 2011:)

- it's a probate sale, so quite likely difficult to get the sort of info you might ask of an in-situ owner
Ofgem may be able to assist.

I can see how FIT works, and that the FIT rates in 2011 were very healthy,
:) those were the days! Paid for what you generate as well as what you export.

No idea if the system is working either.
Check the export meter and see if the readings are going up! Check the Growatt screen, if it has one, for any clues.

Not much idea about how this system would have operated either
Will be quite passive, IMHO. Inverter will kick in when there is enough light and will just generate all it can (up to its 3.6kW limit). House will use solar first, then import any extra from the grid if load is more than solar production. If house load is less than solar generation, the remaining power will be exported to your neighbours.

Google can tell me about current solar installations, but I imagine things have moved on.
If you go ahead, you should be able to Google the Growatt's model number and find an old user manual. But, hopefully, it will just be a case of it works, saves you £££ and you get back £££ from the FiT. And it's a selling point if you move again before the FiT payment period ends in 2031 or 2036.

HTH.

Back