diy solar

diy solar

Hip roof advice sought- Tigo's needed?

FS_3

First of all I want to thank everyone here for their knowledge and expertise.

I am just starting my solar journey and began by getting several contractor quotes to add solar on my roof for anywhere from $20 to $60 K with no battery- Just Net metering.

Talk about sticker shock!!

I am very handy and am an electronics tech/ industrial electrician by trade.

I am planning to do this as off grid or hybrid, start with an EG4 6548 and 2 – EG4 Lifepo batteries.

My plan is to add a subpanel in the basement near my main (Northeast corner of the house). Move some circuits to the sub and feed them from solar and batteries with grid backup. Add more panels and batteries as needed. I doubt I can completely eliminate my power bill but would like to offset it as much as I can.

Usage is average 67 kWh/ day.

My house is a 1924 2 story foursquare with a hip roof. There is a dormer on the southern tallest roof and a large chimney on the west side and a smaller chimney on the north side/ The east is complicated with a couple of vent pipes.

I want to start putting panels on my house probably 10 or so at a time as I can afford them. I will probably do the south 5 and the east 5 to start. 2 strings? With them being in different directions should I use Tigo optimizers as has been suggested?

Panels hopefully will be 455 w Solarever panels

Best long term strategy for adding panels?

4 separate series strings?

I’d also like to take advantage of the garage but the available space with the HIP roof limiting what can be installed.

Attachments

• 10 panel.png
    10 panel.png
    285.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Solever 455.JPG
    Solever 455.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 5
  • solar roof.png
    solar roof.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Big Picture.png
    Big Picture.png
    553.8 KB · Views: 5
If you're considering DIY, you need to dig deep into your AHJ's (authority having jurisdiction) requirements as well as your utility. Rooftop mounted PV requires module level shutdown, which is about $50 additional per panel, if you have to comply with NEC 2017+. There are also offsets where you need to allow walkway access on the roof - typically 3' from the peak and 3' from one edge (some jurisdictions have exceptions). Your roof may be particularly challenging.

Roof installations usually require a fixed plan when permitting, which may complicate your plan to add as you go.

Back