diy solar

diy solar

Bypass diodes

Ozzy

Hi, with new solar panels such as Trinasolar 400w perc that have internal bypass d’iodés for segments of the panel, do we still need to add a bypass diode for the entire panel if we have multiple in series?

I am new here and just starting the journey... I have an EcoFlow Max - nothing fancy. I am looking for a couple of 200W panels that are not super sensitive to shading. I have heard that there are some panels with bypass diodes integrated into the actual circuitry of the panel on the semiconductor level. Some panels have more than others. I bought a couple of panels off of Amazon and found that they are not what I was looking for (the return process was a pain). I have heard that Solara panels are designed to be very shade tolerant, but they seem to be inaccessible unless you are doing a big install. I live in Chicago area so getting solar panels in small quantities is 90% an online task and I don't want to go through the return process that I just went through. So to make a long intro short, does anyone have any recommendations on shade tolerant panels? Thanks

Although it is technically possible to integrate bypass diodes into a PV cell it is rarely done. Quality of silicon bulk substrate used for PV cell fabrication is not great for making a good bypass diode. The integrated diode would have greater forward conduction voltage drop and greater internal resistance than a typical external bypass diode.

With most of industry going to larger wafers there is a lot of split, cut up cells. This allows mixing and matching leakage defects on each half cell to achieve greater yield from each wafer. Putting in an integrated bypass diode would complicate this cut cell process.

It would be more practical to include a chip level bypass diode in the panel laminate assembly mounted to front glass just like PV cells.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info --- I got my hands on two Qcell 400w panels as of two days ago and they seem to work well with EcoFlow (I checked with customer support to make sure that I was within specs.) They produce 90v and 11a in series. The EcoFlow accepts up to 800w solar so all should be ok. But I'm thinking about building a DIY system too but I just can't seen to get my head around the type of inverter etc.... the end result I would like would be similar to the EcoFlow which has a 2000w max. if you have any recommendations I'd appreciate it

Thanks for the info --- I got my hands on two Qcell 400w panels as of two days ago and they seem to work well with EcoFlow (I checked with customer support to make sure that I was within specs.) They produce 90v and 11a in series. The EcoFlow accepts up to 800w solar so all should be ok. But I'm thinking about building a DIY system too but I just can't seen to get my head around the type of inverter etc.... the end result I would like would be similar to the EcoFlow which has a 2000w max. if you have any recommendations I'd appreciate it
Where did you order your Qcells from?

Where did you order your Qcells from?
I only got 2 and I they are from CED Greentech in Mt Prospect (northern suburb of Chicago). I was able to pick them up so I don't know what delivery would have been. I think they have multiple locations

I only got 2 and I they are from CED Greentech in Mt Prospect (northern suburb of Chicago). I was able to pick them up so I don't know what delivery would have been. I think they have multiple locations
Good info, one is opening near me soon Thanks!

Back