diy solar

diy solar

Can a 50 amp inlet supply grid power to an all in one solar power box? (mpp,etc.)

Robbie

Hello,
I'm totally new to DIY Solar but I've been reading up and familiarizing myself with the subject and practicing electrical tasks recently and am pretty tech savvy so feel comfortable enough to approach planning my off grid solar system in advance of installing it.
I'm currently renovating a 1966 caravan camper into a what I intend to make my mostly off grid tiny home. Right now I'm still in the framing repair and design stage of the process. After reading through William's solar system design options, I am leaning towards going with an mpp controller and 24v system hopefully with a model s battery with 700-1000W worth of solar panels.
I am on a budget and the solar system is dead last on my priority list, but I'm doing everything I can to plan compatibility as I go through the renovation process.
I'd like to use a 50amp inlet as my main grid power inlet on the trailer so that I always have the option of using an adapter to stay compatible with whatever shore power sources are available circumstantially. My concern is that a 50 amp inlet might not be compatible with an all-in-one solar power box. I guess my main question is, what would I need to make a 50 amp service hookup compatible with an all-in-one power solar power box? Do I just need a converter?

The other question I have is how do you hookup the 12V portion of the systen (lights/water pump/12v outlet/usb/etc) with an all-in-one solar power box?

I hope I'm not embarrassing myself with my lack of experience too badly with these questions o_O
Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Be sure which type of 50amp socket you are referring to...

RV 125v 30 or 50 amp...

Range/dryer 250v 30 or 50amp... BIG difference on compatibility...

50 amp RV power is usually the same as a 200 amp residential feed. the park pole outlet is specific to an appropriate RV cord. Most parks provide standard split phase 220 to that outlet. Not all parks do though, some provide 120 on both legs but in phase so no power across them. Then there are those situations where no 50 amp outlet is available. You should be good to go with normal 220 split phase at the park pole.
You need to confirm it will work with 120 VAC 15, 20, & 30 amp supplies. I use the generator if there is only 15 amp available. Lots of voltage drop with long 14 awg runs.

Sol Ark has just introduced a 5K single phase AIO inverter that would be perfect for boats and RVs

50 amp RV power is usually the same as a 200 amp residential feed. the park pole outlet is specific to an appropriate RV cord. Most parks provide standard split phase 220 to that outlet. Not all parks do though, some provide 120 on both legs but in phase so no power across them. Then there are those situations where no 50 amp outlet is available. You should be good to go with normal 220 split phase at the park pole.
You need to confirm it will work with 120 VAC 15, 20, & 30 amp supplies. I use the generator if there is only 15 amp available. Lots of voltage drop with long 14 awg runs.
RV parks commonly use a 50A 110v on their pedestal. I’m sure there are 220v pedestals at some parks but 95% of RVs use a 30-50A 110v

RV parks commonly use a 50A 110v on their pedestal. I’m sure there are 220v pedestals at some parks but 95% of RVs use a 30-50A 110v
The most common RV pedestal power options are tt-30 and nema 14-50.
tt-30 is 30 amps at 120VAC = 3600 watts
nema 14-50 is 50 amps at 120/240VAC = 12000 watts.

Last edited:
This is incorrect.
IF there is a 50A outlet, it is 120/240 if it is a 30A outlet, it is a 120V outlet.

Well maybe so today we owned a campground many years ago and I call tell you we had zero 220 pedestals. We did have some 50A 110 but 90% were 30A

Well maybe so today we owned a campground many years ago and I call tell you we had zero 220 pedestals. We did have some 50A 110 but 90% were 30A
What outlet was used for 50 amps @ 120 VAC?

No all 110v but new modern large trailers and moterhomes have evolved. I’m not surprised they are going to 50A 220v

No all 110v but new modern large trailers and moterhomes have evolved. I’m not surprised they are going to 50A 220v
The point is there was never a 50 amp@120VAC standard, that is why I asked what outlet your park used for this configuration.
UPDATE: there is nema 5-50 but I've never heard of it being used as an RV connector.

Last edited:
IF you have a 50A outlet, and it is NOT 240V, it is not installed correctly, and can damage 50A RV'S designed for it.

I feel stupid for asking, but RV 50a 220v is different than standard household 220v, correct? I know the plug used is different but just wanted to make sure.

I thought household 220 had two hot legs 180 degrees out of phase, where as RV 220 has both hot legs in phase, or is that not correct?

Thanks in advance!

I feel stupid for asking, but RV 50a 220v is different than standard household 220v, correct? I know the plug used is different but just wanted to make sure.

I thought household 220 had two hot legs 180 degrees out of phase, where as RV 220 has both hot legs in phase, or is that not correct?
The plug and receptacle are the same.
The ac panel in the RV usually does not allow line to line circuits thus only 120VAC is available to loads in the RV.
The panel is usually set up with 2x 50 amp single pole master breakers which means only single pole branches.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance!
RV Plug, and household 50A receptacles are the same. 240V two hot legs, one neutral, one ground. In N. America, that is… many RV’s are wired to have a panel with 120V circuits only, but some use 120/240V circuits.

diy solar

diy solar
Back