diy solar

diy solar

Can a microinverter be for too many watts

If the panel isn't big enough it may not trigger the micro inverter start converting to AC. Much like when there isn't enough sun on a panel.

Need to size the micro inverter to the panel size per the specs, but yes you can add more micro inverter/ panel sets later.

you could always adjust the input voltage by running through a boost/buck converter first to supply a steady output for the microinverter, I plan on doing that with mine, but that project was delayed while I moved the panel location - I planned on using two 100w panels in series for that.

you could always adjust the input voltage by running through a boost/buck converter first to supply a steady output for the microinverter, I plan on doing that with mine, but that project was delayed while I moved the panel location - I planned on using two 100w panels in series for that.
Not sure that is a good idea. The MPPT and/or PWM function likely won't work and panel output won't be maximized...likely reducing total output by at least 50%

If you want to start a plug & play system with just one 100W panel and add additional panels later, can you buy the 600-700W version of a microinverter such as this
or would this be too much for just one 100W panel?

Thanks
That'll work just fine as long as the panel produces somewhere between 24V and 40V nominal. It means you'd need either a 24V or 36V panel, 12V panels will not work unless you have two in series.

You can hook a few panels in parallel to it as you build out your system as the only limit is the input voltage (50V) which pretty much all panels on the market, even the 72 or 144 split cell panels will fall under.

Your current will be limited by the inverter, the 700W version has a 28A limit but all that means is that it won't be able to pull more than 28A even if you connect 10 100W panels to it in parallel (this is what's called clipping).

I don't think this is a "microinverter", especially the 700W one, there aren't a whole lot of 700W panels on the market, these are not panel mountable and don't have the appropriate IP rating to be outside. These are small capacity inverters that work fine as long as your solar panel setup falls within the specification range of the inverter.

Last edited:
Back