diy solar

diy solar

Can a Victron battery protect be used on the charge side of things or is it only for disconnecting loads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The BatteryProtect is not designed for reverse currents from charging sources. "

I had the same worry and a technical fellow told me that Victron battery protect is not backwards compatible. Reverse current, charging, can result in thermal issues.
Waldemar

@JeepHammer you should have your keyboard checked out, the caps lock keeps getting stuck. Otherwise, (y) have at it bud. I'm not here to hawk my stuff; quite the contrary, I'm literally here saying don't buy Victron equipment for this application, and repeatedly advising people that there are other and cheaper ways to do what they want. I'm the tech guy, not a salesman.

Haven't argued with you about any of your other ways of doing what you want to do... I came into this thread because you said a Victron component could be connected in a way that it cannot. So long as you stop saying that, we're good.

Once again, I DID NOT say a Victron product can be used in any given way.
We were kicking around ideas... And the subject came up that *MAYBE* the disconnect could be commanded...
Another failure to read the thread.

I talked to Battle Born on the phone, exchanged emails with them, none of their reps insulted me, called me names, said I was trying to burn down houses.
They do have some really smart people there that know their product inside and out, outstanding customer service, and they can stay on subject...

Last edited:
Can a Victron battery protect be used on the charge side of things or is it only meant to be used for disconnecting loads?
Yes.

And on a related note why is it not reccomended to use with an inverter? It seems that this sort of defeats its purpose of the battery protect as the inverter can be one of the biggest loads on some systems.
Surge currents beyond product specifications.

Let's move on, guys, OPs question has been answered definitively by a Victron expert. We're done.

Yes.

Surge currents beyond product specifications.

Let's move on, guys, OPs question has been answered definitively by a Victron expert. We're done.

Not exactly since the OP doesn't have a disconnect he was wanting...
Since Victron can't do that job, we have to assume he still need a disconnect.

AND, there was someone else in the conversation wanting disconnect for panels and/or charge controller from battery.
His 400 VDC can do horrendous things, I know why he want's a panel disconnect!

There is also the subject DZL suggested,
Using BMS over charge/over volt to disconnect.
That's a HUGE idea, provided the high voltage signal (or low voltage signal) can be used with common equipment, nothing proprietary so about any BMS can do the job.

Once again, I DID NOT say a Victron product can be used in any given way.
We were kicking around ideas... And the subject came up that *MAYBE* the disconnect could be commanded...
Another failure to read the thread.

I talked to Battle Born on the phone, exchanged emails with them, none of their reps insulted me, called me names, said I was trying to burn down houses.
They do have some really smart people there that know their product inside and out, outstanding customer service, and they can stay on subject...

You didn't do what, now, and who is failing to read the thread? I'll wait.

Screenshot_3.jpg

I guess you didn't see the "Can" in quotes...

The user instructions say you *Can* under certian circumstances, which I could care less about.
As we discussed that, you focused on me, and frankly I've had enough...

I contacted Victron and gave them the link to this thread,
Since their #1 representative was so rude, insulting and obnoxious I wanted to return the product before it gets here.
They said they would refund 100% of my money with receipt, and I emailed that, so no issues with them.

I wonder if your boss/owner knows you spend all day insulting, belittling, name calling customers on the internet?

I guess you didn't see the "Can" in quotes...

The user instructions say you *Can* under certian circumstances, which I could care less about.
As we discussed that, you focused on me, and frankly I've had enough...

I contacted Victron and gave them the link to this thread,
Since their #1 representative was so rude, insulting and obnoxious I wanted to return the product before it gets here.
They said they would refund 100% of my money with receipt, and I emailed that, so no issues with them.

I wonder if your boss/owner knows you spend all day insulting, belittling, name calling customers on the internet?
Well, no you can't. Remotely triggering an inverter is not the same thing as putting a BP between the inverter and batteries.
And, since I neither insulted, belittled, nor name-called, I am 100% confident in my responses here and in Victron and my boss backing me on all responses here. The worst I called you was "stubborn", which I also stand by. I'm glad to see that you're returning the device that won't work for what you want it to, and wish you the best of fortune in your other endeavors.

Well, no you can't. Remotely triggering an inverter is not the same thing as putting a BP between the inverter and batteries.
And, since I neither insulted, belittled, nor name-called, I am 100% confident in my responses here and in Victron and my boss backing me on all responses here. The worst I called you was "stubborn", which I also stand by. I'm glad to see that you're returning the device that won't work for what you want it to, and wish you the best of fortune in your other endeavors.

I don't need you to defend your actions to me, it cost Victron money, they covered you.
I know exactly what you are, I'm not a 20-something, this isn't my first rodeo...

I know exactly what you are...
@JeepHammer Just to maintain openness and transparency, I want to let you know that I have reported your behaviour and, in my opinion, contravention of forum acceptable use to the forum mods. I'm sure nothing will happen because of your positive contributions over the past two months since you joined but if nothing is said, nothing will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back