diy solar

diy solar

Can I add an MPPT SCC to a set up with a Growatt all in one?

Charles T.

Good morning everyone.
I currently have 1200 watts of panels close to maxing out my Growatt 24 volt all in one powering some loads and charging a 24v 200ah EG4. I have a couple extra 24 volt panels I was thinking I could connect to a separate mppt charge controller to provide extra charging to my battery. Is this possible? If so how and what CC would be best.
Thank you!

You can take that Growatt to 2000w, I have 2400w on mine up at the camp. Otherwise any decent MPPT controller can just be hooked to the battery. I'm a fan of Rich Solar and HQST myself, but a few other people will say Victron or Nothing so...

How big are your panels and how do they stack up specs wise to your current panels? For a 24v system you'll want 10a for 200w of panel as a guideline.

If you have a shunt involved then just connect to the battery positive and the shunt's P- terminal. If no shunt then you can go straight to the battery. The Growatt won't care about the extra SCC and the extra SCC won't care about the Growatt.

I have HQST 9BB Cell 100W Solar Panel 12V (24.3 voc) in 5s2p. I am maxed on the voc. The panels I wanted to add to the separate SCC are 24v 120w (40.07 voc; 3.73 a)

I have a related question. I an in the process of upgrading from 12v to 24v and currently have a victron mppt 100/30 and smart shunt with my current setup. I planned on using mppt, shunt, getting new inverter and using that Moe's 50 amp transfer switch thing. After reading more people said that transfer switch had been problematic with inverters and they suggested the growatt all in one. My question is, can I get the all in one and keep my victron mppt for charging the battery and only use the growatt for the inverter and transfer switch function. I would only be tying in the incoming from battery, incoming from grid and outgoing to my wiring to outlets in shed. Would it still work normally?

I have a related question. I an in the process of upgrading from 12v to 24v and currently have a victron mppt 100/30 and smart shunt with my current setup. I planned on using mppt, shunt, getting new inverter and using that Moe's 50 amp transfer switch thing. After reading more people said that transfer switch had been problematic with inverters and they suggested the growatt all in one. My question is, can I get the all in one and keep my victron mppt for charging the battery and only use the growatt for the inverter and transfer switch function. I would only be tying in the incoming from battery, incoming from grid and outgoing to my wiring to outlets in shed. Would it still work normally?
Yes. The AIO will operate without PV and also without grid. Not sure why you simply do not use it for PV instead of the Victron.

Yes. The AIO will operate without PV and also without grid. Not sure why you simply do not use it for PV instead of the Victron.
I like the controls with the victron and I have also read that the software associated with the victron does better with getting the most out of ur solar. I'm familiar with the set up and like the Bluetooth control away from the building and the mppt and shunt communicate with each other. Just a preference thing. I may add more panels later and batteries so the option to utilize the growatt later could give me expansion options I guess. I have no experience with these and I was looking at an inverter and different transfer switch already. This covers both. I may play with the pv on it to see how it works I'm just used to the victron stuff at this point.

That link says it works with an inverter.

Where have you heard that something is problematic?
There are a few threads on here where inverters were damaged supposedly by this transfer switch over time. Search "moes fried inverter on here". I've read some of them. I don't have that experience as I haven't even wired it yet but I just got a suggestion on someone here to use the all in one and it sounds easier for the wiring to have one device.

Last edited:
Search "moes fried inverter on here". I've read some of them.
Got it, thanks. Thats a long thread. I slogged thru 40 posts and sounds like a real issue for some inverters (mostly HF?).
Good luck, i don't have any help i can offer (sorry).

Back