diy solar

diy solar

For those using an inverter and not an all in one, how do you grid charge?

michvhf

Subject says it all. Every separate system I see a schematic for only shows the battery, inverter and mppt controller. None show any grid charging. What's used for grid charging in this situation? The SCC in my system is PWM and I'd like to use a separate MPPT and turn off the internal charger (internal charger gives a lot of radio noise too).

Chargeverter is commonly recommended for 48v systems nowadays but it's maybe discontinued. I am building mine with an HEP-2300-55 power supply.

What voltage are you working with?

Some inverters are inverter/chargers. There is also many battery chargers out there for sale. Depends on your setup as to what you need.

Chargeverter is commonly recommended for 48v systems nowadays but it's maybe discontinued. I am building mine with an HEP-2300-55 power supply.

What voltage are you working with?
24V. I'm mainly concerned with a charger and external mppt connected to the batteries.

I don't grid charge. That defeats the purpose of what i want achieve. Independence.

I'm continually expanding my solar to be able to charge effectively in rainy weather.

24V. I'm mainly concerned with a charger and external mppt connected to the batteries.
It's fine to have multiple charge sources connected. The tricky part is getting them to do what you want them to, like if the grid charger is keeping the battery fully charged all the timethere's no room for the solar to charge.

If I charge from the grid, I use an AIMS 120 VAC to 24 VDC 37.5 amp converter. I’ve never needed to use that, but I test it every year like clockwork.

If I understand you, this may be more of a question of avoiding radio interference, perhaps for ham radio, and still be able to charge the batteries.

If that’s the case, I’m not sure if the charger I use will work for you.

In the rare case my solar did not keep up in the RV I would flip the breaker on to use the on-board converter/charger.
Otherwise any battery charger of the correct rating can be used.

Back