diy solar

diy solar

Can I brew a pot of coffee

Aceallenk

Do I have enough battery to brew a pot of coffee? The coffee machine is typical, 1500Walt and takes maximum 15 minutes to brew a pot . lets say 400walts total. I have 3x200A lead acid batteries (so say 300 available Amp using half the charge), my system is a Pure Sine wave power inverter 3000Watt DC12V to AC120. Solar is 400W of solar panels with a 40A Renogy Rover MPPT controller. So the question is, do these 3 lead acid batteries have enough charge to brew a pot of coffee in the morn while boondocking. I forgot how to do the math to know what is needed.

To get the exact amount throw a Kill-A-Watt on the coffee maker and brew a pot. You should be fine, that system sounds like it should have plenty of juice for bean juice.

I would suspect your coffee pot is rated to use 1500W peak, but it isn't 1500W non-stop. I agree, use a kill-a-watt and find out.

Heck, maybe I'll stick my coffee pot (el cheapo $18 Mr. Coffee) on a kill a watt if I remember tomorrow morning and let you know what it does for reference. It is old and slow so it takes closer to 20-25 min to brew 32 ounces.

Do I have enough battery to brew a pot of coffee? The coffee machine is typical, 1500Walt and takes maximum 15 minutes to brew a pot . lets say 400walts total. I have 3x200A lead acid batteries (so say 300 available Amp using half the charge), my system is a Pure Sine wave power inverter 3000Watt DC12V to AC120. Solar is 400W of solar panels with a 40A Renogy Rover MPPT controller. So the question is, do these 3 lead acid batteries have enough charge to brew a pot of coffee in the morn while boondocking. I forgot how to do the math to know what is needed.

Ignoring potential wiring losses, but considering inverter inefficiency:

1500W/12V/.85 = 147A

147A * 0.25h = 36.8Ah, 12V capacity needed

3 * 200Ah = 600Ah total capacity

36.8Ah/600Ah = 6.1% of battery capacity to brew a pot.

This does not take into consideration Peukert effect, but I would not expect that to make a huge difference using a C4 current vs. the 200Ah rated C20 current. Maybe it would use as much as 9-10% of capacity.

I had no trouble running my Bunn coffee maker off my 3000w setup recently when there was a power outage. Basically no extra startup demand due to a coffee maker simply being a heater coil. 1500w/15min/60min/hr= 1500w*.25h= 375wh Your batteries are 600ah at 12v =7200w of which you only use 3600w. Thus running your coffee machine is not going to impact too much.

Yes if fully charged, enjoy the coffee.

And if last night the battery was at 50% as you turned in and the furnace was running most of the night.... might be looking at low battery alarm or shut down.

Thanks a ton to all that replied to this post. It appears brewing a pot "bean juice, lol" in the morning won't demand more than what's already there. I installed this system 3-4 years back, but never had a chance to really use it, had a seasonal a couple years afterwards, then covid thing happened etc and thinking this year we found a good spot fishing using the solar only, might even add another battery incase...

Back