diy solar

diy solar

Can I leave LiFePO4 batteries in the cold

JustPractical

I have a 48v 100ah LiFePO4 battery on a portable setup. I charged it to 100% and then put it in a non-climate controlled shed where temps can occasionally drop to 0C and below. I know not to charge below 0C and I believe I can dicharge down to -20C. My question: any harm in letting the battery just sit unused in the cold weather? My plan would be to put it through at least one dicharge/charge cycle in the spring. It is more of an "emergency use" device.

There is no problem storing them at low temp, down to -30C.
Charge/discharge to 50-80%, but no charge or discharge during cold storage. Leave them disconnected.

Here's a thread that goes into depth on it with some technical data:

I have a 48v 100ah LiFePO4 battery on a portable setup. I charged it to 100% and then put it in a non-climate controlled shed where temps can occasionally drop to 0C and below. I know not to charge below 0C and I believe I can dicharge down to -20C. My question: any harm in letting the battery just sit unused in the cold weather? My plan would be to put it through at least one dicharge/charge cycle in the spring. It is more of an "emergency use" device.
I like authoritative, verifiable answers so I'm going to tell you to go get the data sheet for your specific batteries and have a look.

I use a big Gel setup and here is the snippet from my batteries' data sheet. Anyone arguing with with me regarding these values provided by the manufacturer is summarily dismissed.
1674574800574.png

Back