diy solar

diy solar

Lifepo4 cold temp question

Gphoto125

I’m a newbie and confused re. temps below 32° . I just bought a Li time 12v100ah battery for my camper replacing an agm battery. I assumed (wrongly I think) that it was safe to keep connected to my solar controller year round. Then I read it could ruin Lifepo4 batteries in below 32° if left connected to panels and controller and that even if disconnected the battery could be ruined if left disconnected in temps below 32°. I’m thinking I should have ordered a battery that has the cold temp shutoff like the one by Li time that Will did a review(trolling battery) ? Thanks for any help with this !

I’m a newbie and confused re. temps below 32° . I just bought a Li time 12v100ah battery for my camper replacing an agm battery. I assumed (wrongly I think) that it was safe to keep connected to my solar controller year round. Then I read it could ruin Lifepo4 batteries in below 32° if left connected to panels and controller and that even if disconnected the battery could be ruined if left disconnected in temps below 32°. I’m thinking I should have ordered a battery that has the cold temp shutoff like the one by Li time that Will did a review(trolling battery) ? Thanks for any help with this !

If the battery doesn't have built-in low temperature charge protection AND/OR heating, YOU must provide alternate means of protection AND/OR heating.

Correct, if charged under a certain temp (most are 32f) you can damage the cells. If you are using it in a location where temps can dip that low it is recommended to use one with a bms that protects against charging when the cells are under 32f. That being said that is cell temps not air temps. Just because its 20 degs outside does not mean that your cells are actually at that temp they could be higher or lower and thats why its important to have the temp sensor in the battery itself.

Storage without discharging can be another story but if possibly I would still try and keep the cells warm,.

yes, you need to either add some kind of low temp protection or heating if you're going to charge them below freezing.

the simplest thing to do, if you got it from amazon and are still within the return window, would be to take it back and get the one with low temp protection.

if you can't do that, I am in your same boat and what I have decided to do is to add a electronic thermostat with a solid state relay to shut the PV input off below freezing. here's some helpful links:

but this part:
even if disconnected the battery could be ruined if left disconnected in temps below 32°
is not true. merely storing, or even discharing, lifepo4 batteries below freezing should not be a problem.

Unless you are going to be below freezing for several months just disconnect the battery from any loads that could inadvertently discharge it. It will be fine with no extra heating if you are not trying to charge it.

I was thinking of warping my battery's with heat tape for water pipes. Mine weigh 27 lb's so I can sit them on 1/2 inch spacers and wrap each battery with the tape.
Should work.
Greg

I was thinking of warping my battery's with heat tape for water pipes. Mine weigh 27 lb's so I can sit them on 1/2 inch spacers and wrap each battery with the tape.
Should work.
Greg
I would not recommend that. That type of heat trace has a reputation for shorting out and is not very durable. I would look into heating mats made for the application.

Should work.
Greg
Yeah I wouldn't recommend that either. That stuff gets extremely hot, too besides a bad rep for shorting out. Some people use heating mats made for pet reptiles to keep their batteries warm, this is an example:

But if I were you, I would return the battery if you can and instead get one with low-temp protection. You'll still need to heat the battery, but the low temp protection will add a layer of protection to stop charging the battery if it gets too cold.

Thanks for the advice, I will get the warming pads. I looked at some other post about them and they seem perfect for my use and thanks for the link.
Greg

You should buy batteries with temperature control that stops charging at freezing temperatures, or that can automatically heat up and keep warm

lnteresting comments on heat tape/trace, used for decades at the power plant with no problems. Have used it for last 10 years in the pump house at home with no trouble. Temp sensor placement is critical.

Thanks for the advice, I will get the warming pads. I looked at some other post about them and they seem perfect for my use and thanks for the link.
Greg
Do you have any recommendations for warming pads? Which one did you buy in the end and how was it?

could be ruined if left disconnected in temps below 32°
No, the battery will be fine , its only charging below freezing that causes issues, so disconnecting from everything is safe.

If you have the Li time Smart 100Ah then this has low temperature protection built in, so you can leave the battery to protect itself.
The non smart versions don't have this protection.

Back