diy solar

diy solar

Can I over panel my outback flexmax 60 for cloudy days?

ed6269

Hello everyone
I have a flexmax 60 set up for a 12 volt system and the max output when using a 12 volt system is 750 watts .
I have seen that some of the higher end all in one systems allow for over paneling and I was wondering if any one has over paneled their flexmax 60 or 80 and by how much, I would like to be able to go with something like 900 to 1000 watts at full potential, right now I have 2 305 watt sunpower panels and they are usually run at about 450 watts in good sun but I would like to get closer to the 750 watts of the SCCs limit , but in the cooler weather and when the sun pops out of the clouds the 610 watt panels get close to the max output and I have seen output of 590 watts.
I am afraid if I add another panel it might damage the SCC on these rare occasions when the panels reach max potential .
I have contacted outback and the people don't seem vary knowledgeable and seem like they are just giving me the cover my ass answer and telling me not to exceed the 750 watt input .
Anyway if anybody has done this before I sure would like to hear the details and any information on over paneling.
Thanks for reading my post
Eddie

Yes.

12V PV limit is 800W per the manual. 60V is 4000W (charge current limited in both cases).

Stay within voltage and input current limits on the PV side, i.e., 150Voc max (with allowances for cold weather voltage spikes). I don't see a PV current input limit, so it's either 60A or less, but you could easily put a monster array on it.

With a Vmp of about 120V and a PV current of 50, that's a 6kW array. You'd waste a ton of it, but you could deliver up to 800W all day long.

Multiple PV panels in series could exceed Voc spec. You have to compute that including a temperature adjustment for coldest recorded in your location.
Parallel of additional panels (or series strings of panels if that's what you have now) is ok if no more than max Isc.

What I like to do is have multiple parallel panels (or string of panels) oriented differently.
9:00 AM and 3:00 PM sun are 90 degrees apart, only presents 70% as much area, as much current.
That lets you put on 50% more watts than it could deliver to the battery if all oriented the same; you get more hours instead.
I'm planning to do some with a more acute 60 degree angle (due to dimensions of a roof rack). That will mean two panels never delivers more current/power than a single panel but should further spread production to early morning and late evening (if parked where sun isn't blocked.)

Multiple PV panels in series could exceed Voc spec. You have to compute that including a temperature adjustment for coldest recorded in your location.
Parallel of additional panels (or series strings of panels if that's what you have now) is ok if no more than max Isc.

What I like to do is have multiple parallel panels (or string of panels) oriented differently.
9:00 AM and 3:00 PM sun are 90 degrees apart, only presents 70% as much area, as much current.
That lets you put on 50% more watts than it could deliver to the battery if all oriented the same; you get more hours instead.
I'm planning to do some with a more acute 60 degree angle (due to dimensions of a roof rack). That will mean two panels never delivers more current/power than a single panel but should further spread production to early morning and late evening (if parked where sun isn't blocked.)
I have my 2 panels mounted on a rack that is on wheels so that I can orientat them to the sun thru out the day.
By doing this on a long sunny day it more than takes care of my basic power needs for the day without depleting my battery bank at all , producing just under 4 kw on a good day.
Do you agree with snoobler that I can add more panels without damaging SCC?
Thanks for your insight

Back