diy solar

diy solar

Can I run an insulated ground wire inside my EMT with my PV wires?

Restlesseye

I have three pairs of 10AWG running in 1" EMT. Can I place a 10AWG ground wire in there too?

Bonus question,
Can I run a network cable through there as well?

Thanks!

I figured the Network cable would have been a stretch. Thank you.

Does the ground wire to the roof racking have to be stranded or solid? Is there a recommended size for ground wiring from my inverter to my roof racking? Currently, the roof racking is all grounded with solid 6AWG copper.

I figured the Network cable would have been a stretch. Thank you.

Does the ground wire to the roof racking have to be stranded or solid? Is there a recommended size for ground wiring from my inverter to my roof racking? Currently, the roof racking is all grounded with solid 6AWG copper.
I used 8awg green for my ground inside the emt conduit. I used 6awg bare copper on the roof to ground array. I had four current carrying 10awg DC wires in 3/4 inch conduit from roof top junction box to the exterior wall mounted inverter. I am hoping to get inspection this week

I used 8awg green for my ground inside the emt conduit. I used 6awg bare copper on the roof to ground array. I had four current carrying 10awg DC wires in 3/4 inch conduit from roof top junction box to the exterior wall mounted inverter. I am hoping to get inspection this week
How did you decide on the gauge of the ground wire?

My suggestion would be calculate 1.56x Isc of all parallel strings. Select wire of that ampacity (if uninsulated, pretending insulation of the current carrying conductors.) Purpose for this is to continuously carry short circuit of all strings without damaging insulation.

I heard exposed ground needed to be a certain large size for mechanical reasons. Don't know if securing to structure avoids that. I had used 10 awg bare back when I permitted mine, but errors could easily have slipped by in the early days.
Alternative is "WEEB" or similar bonding that uses aluminum rails as ground conductor.

Back