diy solar

diy solar

Can I run dual / parallel charge contollers?

MrCarman

I'm planning to install two rows of four 455W solar panels. Each row of four in series. I figure I'll need to run two separate charge controllers. One for each string of four due the high voltage. Is there any reason that both charge controllers can not be connected to the main bus bar at the same time? My thinking is that each charge controller will turn off when the battery voltage charges up to a given input threshold voltage. Will one charge controller interfere somehow with the other? Am I just concerned about nothing?

Obviously, the incoming voltage and amperage must stay within the approved range of each charge controller. Additionally, each charge controller is intended to be a Victron Energy SmartSolar Charge Controller 150 | 70 MPPT -Tr VE.Can.

I'm planning to install two rows of four 455W solar panels. Each row of four in series. I figure I'll need to run two separate charge controllers. One for each string of four due the high voltage. Is there any reason that both charge controllers can not be connected to the main bus bar at the same time? My thinking is that each charge controller will turn off when the battery voltage charges up to a given input threshold voltage. Will one charge controller interfere somehow with the other? Am I just concerned about nothing?

Obviously, the incoming voltage and amperage must stay within the approved range of each charge controller. Additionally, each charge controller is intended to be a Victron Energy SmartSolar Charge Controller 150 | 70 MPPT -Tr VE.Can.
Yes, you can parallel charge controllers no problem.

Caution, sounds like you might exceed your 150v max input doing 4 panels in series. Add up your Voc. Most of the 400w and higher panels are close to 50 Voc.

When you check the solar array Voc against the controller max input voltage, please remember to increase the Voc of each panel based on your worst winter temperature. The cold temperatures could raise your Voc by 10 or 20% or more depending on how cold your region gets. You may want to take each 4 panel group to a 2s2p configuration to be safe.

When you check the solar array Voc against the controller max input voltage, please remember to increase the Voc of each panel based on your worst winter temperature. The cold temperatures could raise your Voc by 10 or 20% or more depending on how cold your region gets. You may want to take each 4 panel group to a 2s2p configuration to be safe.
Thank you. Yes, I'll do the numbers and I think you are correct that a 2s2p would be a better way to go for each charge controller.

Connect the two sccs together via Ethernet cable, make sure you have terminators on the unused ports like in the diagram on the left

Also make sure both have the same charger settings, voltage levels etc. Once connected via ve.can they will coordinate entering absorb, float etc stages together.

Screenshot_20240710_163716_Samsung Notes.jpg

diy solar

diy solar
Back