diy solar

diy solar

Can I use 12kW of solar panels with 8.8kW Sunsynk inverter?

SenileOldGit

Solar Enthusiast
Hi, I have two strings of 10 x 595W Canadian Solar solar panels, giving just under 12kW. I am thinking about buying an 8.8kW Sunsynk Hybrid inverter. The Canadian Solar Voc is 41.1V, and the Sunsynk inverter can take PV input of up to 500V - so since 10 x 41.1V is 411V, shouldn't they work fine together?
I realise that the inverter says the max. PV Input Power is 10,400W, but I presume it will just limit how much it takes from the panels and will never go above that amount, so that won't be a problem?

Attachments

• Canadian_Solar-Datasheet-CS7L-MS-575-605-V1.6C1_AU-1.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 8.8kW ECCO Data Sheet-2.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
Most MPPT spec sheets will specify a "nominal" watts as in something to aim for. You can overpanel almost every MPPT with the thought that A) you'll never see the panels produce that much and B) the solar charge controller will simply not use any more watts than it needs.

Never, ever exceed the Max PV Input Voltage. If you're in an area that can get cold, you need to factor that into your final panel voltage.

How cold is the coldest recorded temperature in your area in the last 75 years?

The specs of your panels says they can handle down to -40 Celsius. I used that temp and came up with 48.0V Voc. Which is still a bit close to your 500v max, 10x48v=480v. Some controllers don’t like getting too close to the max, don’t know about yours in particular.

If the coldest is only more like -25 Celsius, then you get 46.4 Voc, more reasonable IMO.

Thanks for your replies. The minimum the temperature gets down to here (South-West U.K.) is probably around -12C. I did try to find an actual figure, but since the entire media is constantly promoting the 'Climate Change' 'The Earth is Boiling' narrative, all I get are the coldest temperatures in the U.K. - which is normally in the Highlands of Scotland, and that was -22C.
I presume I could just unplug one panel on each string if the weather was going to be incredibly cold, just to be on the safe side? It's not as if -20C temperatures are going to sneak up on us down in the South West U.K.

all I get are the coldest temperatures in the U.K. - which is normally in the Highlands of Scotland, and that was -22C.
I presume I could just unplug one panel on each string if the weather was going to be incredibly cold, just to be on the safe side?

I don’t think unplugging a panel would be necessary. You’d be plenty low enough voltage.

I presume it will just limit how much it takes from the panels and will never go above that amount, so that won't be a problem?
That is correct..You may see some clipping on cooler days but the overall production will probably benefit from that DC to AC ratio. That is a ratio of 1.36 to 1 which is the same ratio as my micros.

Back