diy solar

diy solar

Can inverter and DC system share chassis ground?

Desert Mouse

Title says it all. I was progressing in my solar system build today and it occured to me that it may be a bad idea to have them sharing a ground point. Basically I planned to have the main chassis ground wire coming off the negativs bus bar, and the inverters AC ground wire(not the negative DC wire) sharing a ground point.

Bad idea? If so, how far part do I have to put these two ground points, does it matter?

Thanks

This is the way!
That is the ground.
There is nothing else.
Not everyone grounds the inverter AC neutral or ground wire to the chassis. The inverter is grounded by the fact that the DC negative is ground, not grounded, but is ground, and thus, grounded to the chassis.
Is this a stand-alone inverter, or are you running outlets all over the vehicle from the inverter? If outlets, then ground your ground wire.... the neutral is up for discussion.

The ground wire should not be conducting electric power.

Assuming this is an RV, the inverter chassis (case) ground should go direct to the frame of the RV. The negative battery bus should be grounded but the negative bus should not become the ground bus for all things grounded.

There are some inverters that do not like to be grounded as required and are intended to be isolated rather than installed. Installation manual will give details.

Back