diy solar

diy solar

Can two separate system share one Grounding Electrode..?

JRH

Solar Wizard
Simply put ,my solar trailer with some panels on top has All the other gear inside. I have two types of AC outlets to plug stuff up when needed Mounted on the outside …All gear is bonded properly to the chassis on one large copper bar. That bar has a 6 Awg wire that feeds two 8 ft copper electrodes Located near the trailer. Everything works fine.
BUT…..
If I move the power trailer to a friends farm for a month to power a very large camping tent next to his barn I will have no grounding electrode…his barn has a dedicated and stand alone 200 amp grid hook up for its power with a typical grounding rod below the service entrance…I don’t want to use his power …..and I also wish to test my stuff out in a real use scenario..
Can I simply run a 6/ga wire from the chassis ground of my trailer to an acorn nut and connect to his ground electrode that is also tied to his system.

His ground electrode would be my only connection to anything on his grid system…Does his system need to be turned off or can it be operating as usual inside the barn…? ….( or does it even matter) …?
I would rather not drive a new electrode in the ground and then just lose it when I leave…

it seems like it would be ok ,,,but I would rather ask….any opinions ?
thanks , Jim.

Back