diy solar

diy solar

Can Solar Panels Be At Different Angles?

If the two panels are in series, "2s", they should be close to the same orientation.
When sun is off-angle, a panel produces less current. With two in series, you will get the lower current of what each can produce.

I figure it is to the first order just area presented to the sun, sine or cosine of angle.

There is probably a second order effect of sun at an angle glancing off glass (part of that is polarization, light from sun is polarized at all random angles, but reflection vs. transmission at glass depends on polarization.
From a physics forum answering a similar question: "Phase has no effect. Polarization would affect reflection from the front surface, that’s all. The absorption process does not work the way you currently envision it." This corroborates your answer. And it would make no sense to polarize the glass on the panel, because the angle changes continually throughout the day. Cool. Seems like I'm free to use whatever angles I want. Thanks!

Seems like I'm free to use whatever angles I want. Thanks!

Each angle will get whatever "insolation" the sun offers. Due South and tilted to match where the sun will be that day maximizes collection that day.
Other angles get less, due to off-angle for the season, horizon blocking sun before dawn, sun falling on edge then back of panel later in the day, longer path through atmosphere some times of the day.

But two panels in series, of different angles, will limit current to whatever current is lower. If one could produce 7A and the other could produce 10A because directly aimed at the sun, the series string of 2 panels will only produce 7A. That's why they should be same angle. Unless you add "optimizer" electronics.

What I do is orient one entire string at one angle, one at another angle. Then I parallel the two strings.

What I do is orient one entire string at one angle, one at another angle. Then I parallel the two strings.
That has given me very good results.
Do what he says :)
Seems like I'm free to use whatever angles I want
Yes and no. You reduce a portion of production when your panel faces are not 90* to the sun in 2 dimensions.

But sometimes that ‘cost’ is affordable and really I t’s not all bad as mentioned - more ideal sun angle AM and PM can net you more total watts per sun day and keep you at or above fully charged closer to or after dark depending on what your situation is.

Have you considered a ground mount so you can adjust angles 3-4 times a year?

Yes and no. You reduce a portion of production when your panel faces are not 90* to the sun in 2 dimensions.

But sometimes that ‘cost’ is affordable and really I t’s not all bad as mentioned - more ideal sun angle AM and PM can net you more total watts per sun day and keep you at or above fully charged closer to or after dark depending on what your situation is.

Ground solar panels can't be visible from golf course or road in my city per code ... not possible for how my backyard is structured (it also would just look terrible). What's the percent loss of production at 45 and 90 degrees from one panel to the next? Until I saw this response, the below was my plan (ABCD are inverter inputs, 4S2P / input each) ... the round things at the roof peak are attic vents ... really mucking with my solar fung shui ... I'll post in a minute a new plan if I can come up with one ...

1641945973799.png

All of these questions relate to the angle of orientation to the sun. I have a strange roof ..
That is a perfect application for micros if you want to take advantage of multiple orientations and not worry about string sizing. In California with high rates for afternoon production, west orientations can be optimal.
It all depends on where you are standing; or your rates and which way your panels are facing.

That is a perfect application for micros if you want to take advantage of multiple orientations and not worry about string sizing. In California with high rates for afternoon production, west orientations can be optimal.
It all depends on where you are standing; or your rates and which way your panels are facing.
Texas. My service provider is moving to, or has already, moved to spot wholesale rates. Primary objective is to go completely off grid with 38kWH battery system (already being delivered). Don't want to be in the business of selling energy ...

Oh, and I looked at Micros ... more expensive, already ordered the Inverters without detail spec'ing the above roof pic (just did a general "square feet available" analysis) ... so have put a couple main stakes in the ground, trying to figure out the rest ...

I have roof panels at 25deg and a yard array at 18deg. The roof panels are 2 groups of 3s4p and they are each joined by a 3s1p on the yard array - feeding into 2 Midnite Classics. Then I have a 3s5p on the yard array where all are at 18deg feeding to a 3rd Midnite Classic. All panels are 285w.

The power produced by these combinations is almost identical across the 3 charge controllers. Therefore, I can attest that at least at a small level, different deg angles are not much of an issue.

This could work, would need to get on my roof to confirm (BRRRRRR) ...
1641947414001.png

What's the percent loss of production at 45 and 90 degrees from one panel to the next?
Series strings have to have the same exposure at the same point in time or the loss can be huge. Not always catastrophic but it will degrade solar harvest to have them facing differently.

already ordered the Inverters without detail spec'ing the above roof pic

How many inverters? What models?
Some inverters have 3x MPPT inputs, good for strings of 3 different angles.

MPP 6548, 2 in parallel. Total of 4 inputs, ABCD are each input, each 4S2P (no other options with other constraints), i and ii are separate strings below, my latest untested design (cardboard cutout), per this thread. This is THE most useful Forum I have ever participated in. Who owns this thing? Do they make money somehow? 1641968135189.png

This is THE most useful Forum I have ever participated in. Who owns this thing? Do they make money somehow?

:ROFLMAO:

A poor guy by the name of Will Prouse.
He was homeless, living out of a vehicle.
Set up solar, started a YouTube channel.
Gets a commission on sales of products linked on DIY Solar Blueprints.
Now has a house, drives a Tesla.
Says he takes in $80,000/month, only 10% of it from YouTube.

:)

:ROFLMAO:

A poor guy by the name of Will Prouse.
He was homeless, living out of a vehicle.
Set up solar, started a YouTube channel.
Gets a commission on sales of products linked on DIY Solar Blueprints.
Now has a house, drives a Tesla.
Says he takes in $80,000/month, only 10% of it from YouTube.

:)

Ah, cool. Good for him. When I first decided to do this, one of his videos was the very first I watched ...

And, thanks for pointing out those blue prints ... I hadn't seen them ... you allowed me to find that 16S BMS ... I think I'll be returning 8 4S I bought and buying just 2 of the 16S ... which makes for an awful cheap battery bank from Battery Hookup ...

Back