diy solar

diy solar

Can someone double check me?

hyphal_knot

Hello all! Ive been watching @Will Prowse 's videos and lurking on this site. I am new to solar power, and would really like someone to give me a input on my plans before I purchase equipment.
Context: Setting up a fully off grid remote property in northern california, but still living in town for the moment. aprx 5 solar hours on average. Cloudy winters, lots of sun in summer. At my on grid house we currently use 6-8kwh / day. I don't actually expect to use this much on the property, because the house will be smaller and use efficient wood heat, and some other factors, but it is a starting point. I would like to not use a gas generator but I do have one.
I scored 20 older 100w panels for free! with mounting hardware. I want to use these for now but am open to upgrading to more efficient panels in the future.
I am looking at this inverter charger:
and two of these batteries.

2kw of old panels
The batteries are 48v, 50ah. lifepo4. In parallel this is 48v 100ah
The box is 5000w pure sine inverter, 80amp mppt charger.
all together costing 2229$, plus wiring up the cabin.

I am thinking of buying more batteries in the future when I can afford it, more 48v lifepo4, as well as maybe newer panels if needed. I also want the large inverter to be able to use some power tools with plenty of headroom.

Does this seem like a good plan?
This seems like the best deal I have found so far and people seem satsified with eco-worthy products.
I think that we can live well but modestly on 4800wh with a small fridge, laptops, lights, blender. no TV, no AC, no heaters. Am I under sizing the batteries and over sizing the inverter/charger? I did this in order to be able to grow the system without buying equipment twice, for instance, a washing machine would be nice down the road. Thanks so much for any input!

I scored 20 older 100w panels for free! with mounting hardware. I want to use these for now but am open to upgrading to more efficient panels in the future.
Get some measurements on these panels. If voltage and amps varies wildly, they will be a poor match. If the seller has some data on them then that would help. 2000 watts of older panels probably will not make 2000 watts, but 1500 peak production in a day could be good.
The box is 5000w pure sine inverter, 80amp mppt charger.
Depending on the idle draw of the inverter, this could chew up a lot of the production, especially in the winter months. I have a lower draw inverter at 25 watts, which will draw 550 wh per day just to be on, some all in ones are arounf 100 watt idle draw so that could approach 2 kwh per day. THe shortest days of winter may only produce 4 kWh of power, so half of that may be idle draw. If this is used, ask that question.

A smaller inverter could be more efficient on the idle draw.
The batteries are 48v, 50ah. lifepo4. In parallel this is 48v 100ah
How many AH in total? 100 Ah? I think if so in the future you may need expand, but you can collect data to see. Also, with a 5 kW inverter, what is the max amp output? You'd want around 100 amps without it tripping the BMS.

At my on grid house we currently use 6-8kwh / day. I don't actually expect to use this much on the property,
Really need some good estimates on what you will use to design the system correctly the first time around.

all together costing 2229$, plus wiring up the cabin.
This could be a good deal and has obviously worked for someone in the past.

A big inverter is handy. Mine is 6000w and runs my 2.5hp air compressor and everything else i own including a 3.3kw EV charger

Only plan to use 80% of your battery capacity so 4kwh, the less you discharge them on a regular basis the longer they will last.

I think you're 2kw of 2nd hand solar is a modest start.

Get some measurements on these panels. If voltage and amps varies wildly, they will be a poor match. If the seller has some data on them then that would help. 2000 watts of older panels probably will not make 2000 watts, but 1500 peak production in a day could be good.

Depending on the idle draw of the inverter, this could chew up a lot of the production, especially in the winter months. I have a lower draw inverter at 25 watts, which will draw 550 wh per day just to be on, some all in ones are arounf 100 watt idle draw so that could approach 2 kwh per day. THe shortest days of winter may only produce 4 kWh of power, so half of that may be idle draw. If this is used, ask that question.

How many AH in total? 100 Ah? I think if so in the future you may need expand, but you can collect data to see. Also, with a 5 kW inverter, what is the max amp output? You'd want around 100 amps without it tripping the BMS.

Really need some good estimates on what you will use to design the system correctly the first time around.

Thank you! thats good advice about the idle draw of the inverter. Im going to try and find out what it is.
The overload current of the inverter is 40amps

also, only the panels are used. the batteries and inverter charger are brand new, i havent purchased them yet.

Thank you! thats good advice about the idle draw of the inverter. Im going to try and find out what it is.
The overload current of the inverter is 40amps

hmn it says for the inverter
Power Saving Mode: Load ≤25W
This would be the idle draw?

also, only the panels are used. the batteries and inverter charger are brand new, i havent purchased them

No, Power Saving Mode traditionally shuts off the inverter power and just checks for load. If it detects a high enough load on the system (usually 50w or so) it turns the inverter back on. It can help save power but your clocks will all be flashing 12:00 12:00 12:00 and your night light won't work.

Also, Eco Worthy is Tier-6 equipment... out of 5 tiers...

No, Power Saving Mode traditionally shuts off the inverter power and just checks for load. If it detects a high enough load on the system (usually 50w or so) it turns the inverter back on. It can help save power but your clocks will all be flashing 12:00 12:00 12:00 and your night light won't work.

Also, Eco Worthy is Tier-6 equipment... out of 5 tiers...
I think im going with the lifepower 48v 100ah server rack battery instead of the two eco worthys. definitely looks better and costs the same. As for the power save mode, that doesnt seem like an issue to me, i dont have clocks ;)
I do appreciate your opinion of eco worthy. I am going to keep looking at inverter/chargers, but I am deffinetly trying to keep the price down! Any thoughts of a different brand that is also affordable?

Another question for yall, My panels are kyocera 167w panels. They have the old MC3 connectors. I did the math and I can connect them in serries, so I dont need and splitters or anything. Is there a compelling reason that I should change them all to mc4?

Another question for yall, My panels are kyocera 167w panels. They have the old MC3 connectors. I did the math and I can connect them in serries, so I dont need and splitters or anything. Is there a compelling reason that I should change them all to mc4?
Nope, just change the ends that actually connect to the PV wire because MC3 is such a hard end to find and use, but between the panels just use whatever is there.

Back