diy solar

diy solar

Can you put a all in one inverter inside of large stand up fridge or freezer for installation in garage? It is cold here.

Solar Homer

I order the new 6000XP all in one and the EG4 LifePower4 Lithium Battery 48v want to put it in my garage. Because of the cold temp in my area ( it go blow 0 in winter) I was thinking to put all in a one big stand up freezer to keep out the cold.
My question is can you put a all in one inverter like that in a close and sealed space like a freezer of a refrigerator. I see people on YouTube do it with batteries but can’t find any info for the all in one inverters.

I am not familiar with that inverter but inverters and controllers put off a lot of heat and need to be cooled down. So putting one in an enclosed space would probably damage it.

You would need about R12-R16 insulation to give you a 40ºF temperature delta. You might do a little better with some sheets of rigid insulation than a freezer. How would you propose to mount the equipment inside? Any penetrations to the frame of the freezer would likely reduce the effectiveness significantly.

You would need about R12-R16 insulation to give you a 40ºF temperature delta. You might do a little better with some sheets of rigid insulation than a freezer. How would you propose to mount the equipment inside? Any penetrations to the frame of the freezer would likely reduce the effectiveness significantly.
2" rigid foam is R8.6 if you use the mylar coated stuff for reference.

In my experience it is going to get way too hot. Maybe not in the winter, but spring and summer here would bake it to death.

I have a 5'x6' room in my detached uninsulated garage.

The room has a 10,000 btu Air-conditioner, 5000 btu heater and is built with R16 rockwool insulation, 5/8" drywall.

My issue is cooling, the heater hasn't turned on this year.

Currently the Outside low temperature is 30 f and my solar room hasn't dropped below 60f. If I don't open the door during the day (high temp 60 f) the Air-conditioner still turns on (set at 80 f)

Last edited:
I have a 5'x6' room in my detached uninsulated garage.

The room has a 10,000 btu Air-conditioner, 5000 btu heater and is built with R16 rockwool insulation, 5/8" drywall.

My issue is cooling, the heater hasn't turned on this year.

Currently the Outside low temperature is 30 f and my solar room hasn't dropped below 60f. If I don't open the door during the day (high temp 60 f) the Air-conditioner still turns on (set at 80 f)
I was going to ask you some questions in my thread about storage for batteries and equipment as we are in a tiny house that's on the upper limit of sqft to be called a tiny house. 24x24 without practical space really for batteries and my wife isn't too happy about seeing the solar equipment in there because the entire house is v-groove interior and she doesn't want to ugly it up as she put it. lol so I been thinking about a small shed to house the equipment. In South Georgia the heat during the summer is a concern but I thought a very small window unit could correct it or maybe solar exhaust fans. I'd love to see your set up.

Back