diy solar

diy solar

Cannot get EG4 6000xp to power my Tesla wall charger.

mach2mike

I have two PV inputs with a total of 8000 W. When I connect my wall charger to the inverter, the green light comes on, but when I connected to my Tesla, it shuts down. I have no back up batteries connected, and it’s purely solar panel input during daylight hours. I also don’t have a grounding rod connected to the inverter. Do you think this might have something to do with it?

Can you provide pictures of the system and how the charger is connected? Also, how is the system grounded currently?

I have two PV inputs with a total of 8000 W. When I connect my wall charger to the inverter, the green light comes on, but when I connected to my Tesla, it shuts down. I have no back up batteries connected, and it’s purely solar panel input during daylight hours. I also don’t have a grounding rod connected to the inverter. Do you think this might have something to do with it?

You have a 6000W inverter, so you can't output more than 6000W of 240VAC.

6000W/240V = 25A, so the absolute maximum you can charge at is 25A. Your charger must be set below this value.

Rather than run the inverter all balls, I would set it for 20A assuming no other loads.

Furthermore, it depends on how quickly the load comes on and how quickly the MPPT can adjust to support the load. You may need to install at least a small battery to act as a buffer.

Back