diy solar

diy solar

Cell expansion

Barold

I finally got around to ordering a proper case for my 4x 280AH cells. They did not seem to have expanded however when i fit them into the battery case kit, i can see there has been expansion. (note the bottom fits into the case bottom, however the top will not fit due to the cell expansion. Is this unsafe to continue to use?

PXL_20220210_192959319.jpg

reducing state of charge should reduce swelling. deplete to 30-50% and see if that helps. ymmv.

Expansion due to normal full charge is almost imperceivable, less than 2 mm in thickness direction. It is graphite negative electrode expansion by about 11% in its volume which graphite is about 20% of total volume of cell so its 11% expansion of 20% of the volume.

Over charging breaks down electrolyte creating mostly CO2 and CO gas that bloats cell. Worse than the bloating is the tars created during electrolyte breakdown clogs up the electrode pores increasing cell impedance.

Bloating gas will eventually diffuse through the pouch if you don't create more by continuing to overcharge.

Some of newer cells manufactured after mid to late 2020 are made with pre-lithiated graphite negative electrode. Pre-lithiation reduces manufacturing charge forming costs. I have seen some of these pre-lithiated cells bloat a little on first few cycles but they eventually diffuse out the gas. Bloated pre-lithiated cell happen because someone charged them before pre-lithiation has done its job of charge forming. They need to sit for several days after cells are assembled by manufacturer. I think they are shipped out too quickly and distributor may charge them too soon. New pre-lithiated cells have a slightly higher 1 KHz AC impedance measurement, about 0.21-0.23 milliohms versus conventional charge formed cell with 0.15-0.18 milliohms for 280-300 AH cells.

Last edited:
reducing state of charge should reduce swelling. deplete to 30-50% and see if that helps. ymmv.
Cells measure at 3.22V which i believe is close to 50% SOC) but when I try to put them on a small capacity tester under a small load, the Cell Voltage drops momentarily below my low threshold of 2.6V (so the capacity tester shuts off). The cells were bound together with tape but I guess it was not enough to keep them from expanding.

Expansion due to normal full charge is almost imperceivable, less than 2 mm in thickness direction. It is graphite negative electrode expansion by about 11% in its volume which graphite is about 20% of total volume of cell so its 11% expansion of 20% of the volume.

Over charging breaks down electrolyte creating mostly CO2 and CO gas that bloats cell. Worse than the bloating is the tars created during electrolyte breakdown clogs up the electrode pores increasing cell impedance.

Bloating gas will eventually diffuse through the pouch if you don't create more by continuing to overcharge.

Some of newer cells manufactured after mid to late 2020 are made with pre-lithiated graphite negative electrode. Pre-lithiation reduces manufacturing charge forming costs. I have seen some of these pre-lithiated cells bloat a little on first few cycles but they eventually diffuse out the gas. Bloated pre-lithiated cell happen because someone charged them before pre-lithiation has done its job of charge forming. They need to sit for several days after cells are assembled by manufacturer. I think they are shipped out too quickly and distributor may charge them too soon. New pre-lithiated cells have a slightly higher 1 KHz AC impedance measurement, about 0.21-0.23 milliohms versus conventional charge formed cell with 0.15-0.18 milliohms for 280-300 AH cells.
So are these cells bloated beyond a safe margin?

Cells measure at 3.22V which i believe is close to 50% SOC) but when I try to put them on a small capacity tester under a small load, the Cell Voltage drops momentarily below my low threshold of 2.6V (so the capacity tester shuts off). The cells were bound together with tape but I guess it was not enough to keep them from expanding.
How much are you trying to draw out of them (current)?? A "small" capacity tester should not draw a cell down from 3.22 to 2.6. When I tested mine I was pulling 11.6 amps out of them so the test would last ~24 hours and there was hardly any voltage drop drawing that.

How much are you trying to draw out of them (current)?? A "small" capacity tester should not draw a cell down from 3.22 to 2.6. When I tested mine I was pulling 11.6 amps out of them so the test would last ~24 hours and there was hardly any voltage drop drawing that.
It's one of those 185W alliexpress capacity testers. It was set at about 1-3A so I was surprised the measured cell voltage dropped as much. Under a very small load the cell voltage approached 2.77V (when no load, it went back to 3.22V).

My next step will be to put proper ring terminals on the capacity test wires, rather than clamping the stainless posts. Perhaps not a good connection there.

So are these cells bloated beyond a safe margin?
Bloating does not create a safety problem unless it burst cell overpressure vent. This usually does not happen until cell is extremely pregnant bloated like a balloon. Based on your picture there is no issue.

You should be able to put a bungy cord around top with moderate amount of pressure and it will eventually flatten out in a week or two so you can close the case.

It's one of those 185W alliexpress capacity testers. It was set at about 1-3A so I was surprised the measured cell voltage dropped as much. Under a very small load the cell voltage approached 2.77V (when no load, it went back to 3.22V).

My next step will be to put proper ring terminals on the capacity test wires, rather than clamping the stainless posts. Perhaps not a good connection there.
Oh. Are you reading the voltage off the capacity tester itself? That is a little better than meaningless and if you are using alligator clips that will make it even worse.

Back