diy solar

diy solar

Changeover switch recommendations?

JJJJ

Aspiring apprentice
I currently have ac feeding into my Multiplus to charge my batteries in parallel. I turn this on and off as needed.

I am hoping to add a second line in from an outside generator. The plan is to utilize a changeover switch so that only one ac line feeds the Multiplus at a time.

I am currently planning on using the Champion inverter generator.

Was just wondering if someone had a favorite product they would like to recommend?

Last edited:
You can do this or one of the many options here.

If you want automagic amazone even has a 15? amp switch for like $50 but ‘caveat’

If your amps aren’t huge some of the rotary changeover switches are attractive but those are manual

You could use a simple 3-way 30 amp snap switch

Or use an RV transfer switch.

Do you want it to be automatic or manual?

A simple switch of the hot leads won’t work because you need to maintain the proper N-G bond (Neutral-Ground bond).

When connected to grid, the N-G bond should only be at the pedestal.

When connected to the generator the N-G bond needs to be at the generator.

When running on inverter the Multiplus will generate the N-G bond (unless you change the wrong settings).

If you just use a simple switch to change hots, you will then have a N-G bonds at both the pedestal and at the generator (that can be bad news).

You need to switch both the neutrals and hot’s. A 30a RV generator transfer switch will do it. They make both manual ones and automatic ones. If you want something else, I saw this on Amazon- I believe it will switch both. (Unsure of the quality,but it looks good).

Baomain Universal Rotary Changeover Cam Switch SZW26-63/D303.3D 660V 63A 3 Position 3 Phase with Master Switch Exterior Box LW28-63/4 https://a.co/d/4v027PJ

For mobile, switch and bond neutral. Often taken care of by mobile inverter.

If not mobile, rather a permanently installed backup switch, you can rely on service entrance for N-G bond and grounding.

Another way to switch is interlocked "generator" breaker.
I use those, both accessory for Square-D panel and a small Square-D panel that came with interlock pre-installed and a generator inlet plug.

In my situation I want to input either the grid or a generator to my Multiplus inverter. This then feeds a subpanel with neutral ground separate and on to an independent wiring system separate from the grid. If the grid is down I want to activate a switch which will allow ac input from the generator to the Multiplus. If I understand the diagram I placed above there would be a common ground for both which is good from what I have read. When attached to the grid the neutral and ground are bonded at the main box only. In standalone it is my understanding that the Victron handles this.

Last edited:
A simple switch of the hot leads won’t work because you need to maintain the proper N-G bond (Neutral-Ground bond).

When connected to grid, the N-G bond should only be at the pedestal.

When connected to the generator the N-G bond needs to be at the generator.

When running on inverter the Multiplus will generate the N-G bond (unless you change the wrong settings).

If you just use a simple switch to change hots, you will then have a N-G bonds at both the pedestal and at the generator (that can be bad news).

You need to switch both the neutrals and hot’s. A 30a RV generator transfer switch will do it. They make both manual ones and automatic ones. If you want something else, I saw this on Amazon- I believe it will switch both. (Unsure of the quality,but it looks good).

Baomain Universal Rotary Changeover Cam Switch SZW26-63/D303.3D 660V 63A 3 Position 3 Phase with Master Switch Exterior Box LW28-63/4 https://a.co/d/4v027PJ

Edit: Imma dunce

Last edited:
For mobile, switch and bond neutral. Often taken care of by mobile inverter.

If not mobile, rather a permanently installed backup switch, you can rely on service entrance for N-G bond and grounding.

Another way to switch is interlocked "generator" breaker.
I use those, both accessory for Square-D panel and a small Square-D panel that came with interlock pre-installed and a generator inlet plug.
If I understand. Please forgive me if I state this incorrectly. The main from my grid feed has the N-G bond. When this is detached (switched off) the Victron does this internally when the generator is attached. At least this is my understanding from another thread.

The challenge with a lot of transfer systems is that they include a series of breakers for circuits in the home. I don't need this since my solar electric wiring is independent of the home wiring. Also the simple on off switch outside the home doesn't work in my situation due to the wiring configuration.

That is why I find the NAV recommended product appealing. The wiring seems to make sense, at least from what I can see. There are cheaper products out there but when I look at the more robust systems pricing is similar.

Victron, being a mobile inverter, is likely to isolate N from shore power input and locally bond N to G, when voltage on L goes away. Maybe they have some models meant for permanent installation with grid input, or maybe his feature is programmable.

If the inverter has neutral passing through it, you don't need to switch neutral before it.

If you wire neutral around the inverter, and the inverter bonds neutral to ground, then switching neutral at first seems like a good idea. But if a breaker opens, neutral would not be switched, and inverter would still bond N to G while utility connection also had N bonded to G, which is improper.

Have to think through each unique system, make sure grounding is maintained and there is always exactly one N-G bond.

Probably wouldn’t hurt to talk with Nav the vendor who sold me the Multiplus and who sells the switch I mentioned earlier. @Hedges raised some excellent points to consider. Thank you

Also, make sure your Generator does have a N-G bond (most do a few do not so you need an adapter to do it or modify accordingly to manual).

diy solar

diy solar
Back