diy solar

diy solar

Charge a lead battery with a lithium charger

Nol

Is it possible to charge a lead battery with the Renogy AC-DC charger, I mean this on ?

That charger charges to 14.6V. If that's the suitable absorption charge for your lead-acid, then that's fine. It will likely under-charge it to only 80-90% due to a likely abbreviated absorption cycle and no float.

Possible? Yes. Optimal? No. Better than nothing? Yep.

Thanks.
An other question, I have a Renogy DCC booster 40A in the van and my question is if I drive the alternator deliver the power for the start (lead-acid) battery and for the LFP house battery through the booster.
If the alternator voltage drop down to 13,6V does the booster raise the voltage for the LFP house battery to 14,4V ?
I thought it don´t but somebody said yes it does so I am confuse.
I thought it only block the charging until 40A

Not sure what booster you are talking about to charge the lithium battery. You posted a question about a charger that plugs into AC.

There are SCCs available that can also charge from an alternator.

Edit: What specific model booster? I think this is a 40 amp DC to DC charger, but with using it with an alternator, I don't know if it would automatically shut off if the motor were off to prevent the vehicle battery from depleting. Also, during certain times like idle, I'm not sure there's excess production in the alternator to charge. The owners manual should say. Renogy does a pretty good job at docuentation.

Last edited:
If you're talking about this Renogy DC-to-DC Charger, then yes, you can run your alternator to it in order to charge your bank.

Will Prowse has a great YouTube video on that specific unit.

As to your original question, some Lead-Acid batteries can charge to 14.7v so that would probably work if yours is a true LA. If it's either GEL or AGM, maybe not so dig into more info on the battery first.

First question has been answered, I can charge a LA with the LFP charger.

Yes that is de booster and yes I can charge the LFP with the alternator but the LFP should be charge with 14,6V
Suppost the alternator give 13,8V does the booster rais the voltage to 14,6V to charge the LFP ?

I think that's the whole design idea; to boost the alternator voltage. Watch David's video above because he goes into it in detail.

Thanks to this video I bought the 40A booster with a delay relay so the booster start ±3 minutes after the engine runs

I watch it again but I can´t hear Will say the booster boost the alternator voltage. Maybe I misunderstand it.
What I read and understand it limit the current output to 20 or 40A, depend on model which is in my case the 40A model.
I know it is a multi stage charger but that is not what I mean.
Suppost input booster from the alternator is 13,8V how much is the output of the booster ?
Also 13,8V or 14,6V ?

According to the website link above, the manufacturer says "Boost Voltage 14.1-14.7v". There are small switches on the front for you to calibrate to your specific battery chemistry. You turn on two of the "Dip Switches" for 14.6v. There's a manual right there online.

You are right (y) - my misunderstanding. :mad:
The 40A version is a 500W version divided by 12,5V is 40A but divided bij 14,7V is 34A
So it will charge the LFP with 34A but take 40A out of the alternator
Is this correct ?

Back