diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller charging/sensing duty cycle: Charge all the time?

RangerGress

Talk to me pls about charger behavior. My charge controller spends a lot of time not charging, even tho panel voltage is high. My guess is that it's sensing batt V. This strikes me as a waste of time so I'd like the charger to charge whenever panel voltage is high enough and let the BMS turn off the batts if a cell goes over voltage. In my case that won't happen because I've got more LiFePO4 batts than I do panels.

How does your charge controller behave? Does it spend time not charging even tho panel voltage is high? Are there chargers out there that charge full blast whenever panel voltage is high enough?

I've had several of these iSunergy chargers and they all behaved the same way. The sensing time is not configurable, afaik. Certainly nothing in the manual that discusses it and tech spt is helpless.

You can't charge a battery if it's full.

What are your controller setting?
Re. can't charge a battery if it's full. Hard to sense if you're being sarcastic or not. Come on man, I'm serious.

Controller settings aren't the issue. There's some details in the other thread. The controller can be set for a couple different battery types, but that seems more marketing than anything else. For example, I have the controller set to LiFePO4, but even with that profile enabled it lets the user set a trickle charge voltage threshold which doesn't seem appropriate for LiFePO4. The batt V isn't getting close to any threshold that can be configured on the charger.

Are there solar charge controllers that don't spend a bunch of time sniffing batt V and just charge full blast the whole time?

It's most likely you do not have the correct settings in the controller or the system incorrectly wired, or a poor quality controller.

A link to the controller and details of the settings would help with a picture or circuit diagram.

Mike

It's most likely you do not have the correct settings in the controller or the system incorrectly wired, or a poor quality controller.

A link to the controller and details of the settings would help with a picture or circuit diagram.

Mike
The charger is on it's default 48V LiFePO4 profile. Altho there are a couple configurable settings, nothing I can change from default is going to improve anything, just screw it up. Batt V is not climbing up to anywhere near the trickle charge threshold because I have more batts than I have panels. So, for example, I could screw it up by changing the trickle charge V threshold to lower than the default.

Yes, it may well be a poor quality controller, but since no one will tell me if other controllers do/do not have this behavior, I don't have a measuring stick to judge if that's the cause. Maybe good controllers have a mode that understands that a BMS installed.

A circuit diagram isn't going to help because connecting panels to a charger to batts is something any grade schooler should be able to figure out and I'm an mechanical engineer that put himself thru college working as an electronic tech. I'm not as strong on this as a EE, but DC wiring is trivial. I'm using a common ground, panel hot to charger hot input. Charger hot output to BMS +.

Pls, for the love of god. is it normal behavior for a charge controller configured to charge LiFePO4 to spend time sensing batt V--as if there was no BMS? Are their charge controllers that don't spend time sniffing batt V--that is to say, will happily charge full blast all the time as long as panel V is high and the BMS allows it? If so, pls point me to some.

Last edited:
Trying to help you is so difficult.

You most likely have screwed up big time.

Without details of the system specifying a controller is a wild guess and its not certain the controller is at fault.

Your reluctance to provide facts is strange for someone who is an engineer .

Some strange charge situations are caused by BMS protection.

Good luck and goodbye

Trying to help you is so difficult.

You most likely have screwed up big time.

Without details of the system specifying a controller is a wild guess and its not certain the controller is at fault.

Your reluctance to provide facts is strange for someone who is an engineer .

Some strange charge situations are caused by BMS protection.

Good luck and goodbye
The problem is that there is no trust. I'm trusting you to be competent, but you aren't trusting me.

If the BMS is was turning off charging, the thread would be titled "why is my BMS turning off charging?"

What I described is charge controller behavior that is not related to batt V nor panel V. It's not a configuration issue because the things I can configure are clearly not related to the behavior. I've already said all this tho.

The primary problem here is that I don't have enough experience with other chargers to know if there's lots of chargers out there that can be configured to understand that because there's a BMS involved, therefore the charger doesn't need to pause and sense batt V. Or maybe pause for some other reason that I've not imagined. To my frustration tho, no one yet will address that issue. Most everyone here uses a charger different then mine and no one has chimed in and said "my charger is configurable for batt V so I can make it charge all the time," or maybe "my charger can be configured to understand that there is a BMS between it and the batts so it will attempt to charge at full duty cycle." Then I go buy their charger.

Instead, there's useless issues brought up like the BMS. I'm watching the BMS data like a hawk. It's not the BMS.

Re. can't charge a battery if it's full. Hard to sense if you're being sarcastic or not. Come on man, I'm serious.

I'm serious too. If you're hitting absorption voltage, the battery is full.

Controller settings aren't the issue. There's some details in the other thread. The controller can be set for a couple different battery types, but that seems more marketing than anything else. For example, I have the controller set to LiFePO4, but even with that profile enabled it lets the user set a trickle charge voltage threshold which doesn't seem appropriate for LiFePO4. The batt V isn't getting close to any threshold that can be configured on the charger.

If you want your solar controller to power loads, you need to set a float voltage.

Are there solar charge controllers that don't spend a bunch of time sniffing batt V and just charge full blast the whole time?

No. As I said earlier, you can't charge a battery when it's full, and the approach you describe could damage LFP by holding at absorption voltage for longer than is necessary.

The problem is that there is no trust. I'm trusting you to be competent, but you aren't trusting me.

I know you're not talking to me, but it's likely that you aren't competent by the messages and responses. If you were, you would have figured it out and never posted.

What I described is charge controller behavior that is not related to batt V nor panel V. It's not a configuration issue because the things I can configure are clearly not related to the behavior. I've already said all this tho.

Have you? The things you've said don't make sense. There are countless threads of folks posting their controller configuration with experienced users responding with corrections.

Care to give it a try?

The primary problem here is that I don't have enough experience with other chargers to know if there's lots of chargers out there that can be configured to understand that because there's a BMS involved, therefore the charger doesn't need to pause and sense batt V.

All chargers MUST and ALWAYS do this. It's absurd to think otherwise and is the primary reason I don't trust your competence.

Or maybe pause for some other reason that I've not imagined. To my frustration tho, no one yet will address that issue. Most everyone here uses a charger different then mine and no one has chimed in and said "my charger is configurable for batt V so I can make it charge all the time," or maybe "my charger can be configured to understand that there is a BMS between it and the batts so it will attempt to charge at full duty cycle." Then I go buy their charger.

Instead, there's useless issues brought up like the BMS. I'm watching the BMS data like a hawk. It's not the BMS.

I suspect I've already caught onto what you MEANT, not what you said above.

You want the charger to continue to power your loads after the battery is charged? If that's the case, then per above, you need to set a float voltage equal to 3.4V/cell. Yes, I know, "Lithium does not need float"... is true with a qualifier:

Does not need float if being placed in storage, and you want to maintain full charge.

But, it DOES NEED FLOAT if in a cyclic power system to establish the voltage floor that the SCC will maintain to keep the battery fully charged AND power loads.

Battery is not full. The described behavior is entirely independent of the batt's charge state. If one of the cells was near full the BMS would shut down charging and I've have seen that in a heartbeat. If the behavior only occurred at high batt V, the cause of the "no charging" would have been obvious.

Got nothing to do with powering loads. It's not powering loads or I would have mentioned it. The charger is simply spending a lot of time not charging for no obvious reason, other than it's logical that it would want to sense batt V.

Re. care to give it a try. Since the charger won't let me configure whatever you're asking me to configure, it's not really an issue. I can configure the voltage threshold for trickle charge, but since the batt voltage is getting up no where near the default trickle charge threshold, how could changing that possibly help?

Re. lots of threads re. configuring controllers. But not my controller, I've looked for threads here re. my controller and none of them address the issue. Would be good tho if you could point me to a thread that discusses configuring how much time a charge controller spends sniffing batt V, or even a thread discussing a charger that is highly configurable for efficiently charging a large battery pack.

Re. all chargers must sense batt charge state. Maybe. What is the value of the charger sensing charge state of the batts if there is a BMS ready to stop charging if a single cell goes to high? It's not the batt pack total V that is important but the individual cell V. Maybe there is a charger that will spend less time sensing batt V. Maybe there is a charger that one can configure to understand that there is a BMS so it doesn't need to spend 1/3rd of duty cycle sensing batt V, but no one has mentioned either possibility despite my repeated requests. It's just not reasonable to me that the device spends 10min charging and than about 5min not charging, sensing V near as I can figure. It doesn't take 5min to sense V from LiFePO4.

Re. you already suspect what I want. We're not talking about powering loads, or I'd have said so. The batt V is getting no where near up to the float V level, or I'd have said so. As I've said, I've more batts then I have panels, primarily because the charger spends so much time (apparently) sensing batt V.

Last edited:
I can only conclude one of the following:
  1. Malfunctioning charger
  2. Improperly configured charger
  3. Inappropriate charger (bad implementation for your battery)
Re. all chargers must sense batt charge state. Maybe. What is the value of the charger sensing charge state of the batts if there is a BMS ready to stop charging if a single cell goes to high? It's not the batt pack total V that is important but the individual cell V. Maybe there is a charger that will spend less time sensing batt V. Maybe there is a charger that one can configure to understand that there is a BMS so it doesn't need to spend 1/3rd of duty cycle sensing batt V, but no one has mentioned either possibility despite my repeated requests. It's just not reasonable to me that the device spends 10min charging and than about 5min not charging, sensing V near as I can figure. It doesn't take 5min to sense V from LiFePO4.

You have swapped conventions. I said voltage, and you have switched it to SoC.

For decades, chargers have been designed to charge based on voltage. All of them do this. They have to, or you don't have a charger.

In that case you would have a runaway power supply.

Voltages are extremely important to batteries.

Lastly, you never want to rely on the BMS protecting the cells as a matter of normal operation. All equipment should be configured to operate inside the BMS limits.

Re. you already suspect what I want. We're not talking about powering loads, or I'd have said so. The batt V is getting no where near up to the float V level, or I'd have said so. As I've said, I've more batts then I have panels, primarily because the charger spends so much time (apparently) sensing batt V.

This statement is another absurdity.

Going to press reset and start over:

Talk to me pls about charger behavior.

Battery chargers charge based on battery voltage typically following a three phase bulk, absorption and float process.

My charge controller spends a lot of time not charging, even tho panel voltage is high.

It is likely misconfigured, malfunctioning, or it's in appropriate for your application. The behavior you describe is extremely atypical, and I have never personally heard of the brand.

My guess is that it's sensing batt V.

As it should. As it must.

This strikes me as a waste of time

This is an erroneous conclusion.

so I'd like the charger to charge whenever panel voltage is high enough and let the BMS turn off the batts if a cell goes over voltage.

This is bad practice. Relying on a BMS to protect cells as part of routine operations can wear them out. They are a safety device. They should only be relied on to protect the battery when something goes wrong.

In my case that won't happen because I've got more LiFePO4 batts than I do panels.

This is an erroneous conclusion. A 50W solar panel could completely fill a 5000Wh (and larger) battery given enough time.

How does your charge controller behave?

Like it's supposed to as described above.

Does it spend time not charging even tho panel voltage is high?

Depends. It charges when the battery voltage dictates current is needed depending on which phase of charging it's in (bulk, absorption or float).

Are there chargers out there that charge full blast whenever panel voltage is high enough?

No. You are not describing a charger. You are describing an unmanaged current source.

I've had several of these iSunergy chargers and they all behaved the same way.

If that's the case, then they are absolute pieces of shit.

The sensing time is not configurable, afaik. Certainly nothing in the manual that discusses it and tech spt is helpless.

Two more data points that confirm my conclusion immediately above.

Will recommends several SCC on his website. None of those units would behave as you describe. They permit you to configure the charging parameters yourself to ensure that you get a fully charged battery.

Well, the idea that the iSunergy chargers are crap is certainly possible. That's a conclusion I was trying to confirm or deny in these 2 threads.

Is a duty cycle of charging for 10min and then sensing batt V for 5min industry standard for a charger in LiFePO4 mode or not? That just strikes me as a crazy amount of time sensing batt V. Is that how your charger behaves? If not, then the charger is crap because nothing configurable will change the behavior. So then it would be just a matter of someone recommending a charger that is not crap.

Re. swapping conventions. I've been using batt V and batt charge state to generally refer to the same idea. I do understand the difference.

Re. a 50W panel is capable of filling a 5000Wh batt. Sure, but I'm not going to worry about it. I've been watching the amount of power the panels generate and the amount power the house uses for 2yrs now. The only way the batts would get completely filled is if the family was gone for a week. So if the BMS shuts down charging once/yr because a cell has hit shutoff V, I'm ok with that.

Last edited:
Well, the idea that the iSunergy chargers are crap is certainly possible. That's a conclusion I was trying to confirm or deny in these 2 threads.

Is a duty cycle of charging for 10min and then sensing batt V for 5min industry standard for a charger in LiFePO4 mode or not?

Not at all. Chargers sense batt V 100% of the time and respond in real time.

That just strikes me as a crazy amount of time sensing batt V. Is that how your charger behaves? If not, then the charger is crap because nothing configurable will change the behavior. So then it would be just a matter of someone recommending a charger that is not crap.

Will recommends these:

Re. swapping conventions. I've been using batt V and batt charge state to generally refer to the same idea. I do understand the difference.

Good.

Re. a 50W panel is capable of filling a 5000Wh batt. Sure, but I'm not going to worry about it. I've been watching the amount of power the panels generate and the amount power the house uses for 2yrs now. The only way the batts would get completely filled is if the family was gone for a week. So if the BMS shuts down charging once/yr because a cell has hit shutoff V, I'm ok with that.

You are describing a highly unfavorable situation. LFP batteries that are never fully recharged are almost certain to become imbalanced. If the BMS is triggering charge cut-off in your described situation, the imbalance is likely substantial, and capacity can be significantly reduced.

A Battleborn user lost nearly 50% of capacity due to never taking the battery up to 14.2V (where the BB balances) for three years:

Is a duty cycle of charging for 10min and then sensing batt V for 5min industry standard for a charger in LiFePO4 mode or not? That just strikes me as a crazy amount of time sensing batt V. Is that how your charger behaves? If not, then the charger is crap because nothing configurable will change the behavior. So then it would be just a matter of someone recommending a charger that is not crap.

That doesn't sound normal. My Victron MPPT solar charge controllers charge continuously until they don't need to charge. Then again, I trust my Victron equipment so I don't sit around watching it.

Not at all. Chargers sense batt V 100% of the time and respond in real time.
I would say that chargers monitor system voltage not battery voltage.
Unless a charger talks to the battery via a communication protocol or uses discrete voltage sense leads it can't really tell where the charge current is going.

I would say that chargers monitor system voltage not battery voltage.
Unless a charger talks to the battery via a communication protocol or uses discrete voltage sense leads it can't really tell where the charge current is going.

Picky, picky.
beer.gif

Providing some closure to the thread. It's early to have rigorous numbers, but early truth is that the Victron is doing about 2x as much charging as it's crappy predecessor. To my surprise, my batteries are easily charged to capacity each day, even tho the inverters are running the house. I've gone from a situation where I clearly had 2x as much batteries as I needed, to finding out that I could actually use more.

FWIW.. I really enjoyed this thread!! Everyone has a different approach.. very cool!! That said, I believe there was some offer of beers??..?

Back