diy solar

diy solar

Charge Controller EPEVER Triron 30 amp charge readings low compaired to bat volts ?

Chadd

Good evening from a wet and windy Mullion Cove.

Charge Controller EPEVER Triron 30 amp.

The model number, I cannot see it on the unit or the invoice, possibly TRIRON3210N 3215N ?

After a period of rest from charging via solar it is now 9.15pm, the two 75 amp lead acid flooded batteries in parallel show 12.8 volts

The percentage charge show 62 %, it is always way out.

I have set it to flooded lead acid and the combined battery size.

Tried disconnecting the panel's and the battery to reset.

It always show way low what ever the battery voltage is, unless it is charging in bright sunlight when the battery volts are way over 13.

Thank you for any advice : )

God Bless Chadd

The assumption is that it would use the boost voltage as a measure of state of charge. So when the battery reaches the charge voltage the controller says that's fully charged.

Some kind of voltage meter would be much more accurate, or even a shunt meter to keep track of charge and discharge.
SCC is not reliable for charge level.

Battery-state-of-charge-for-Wet-and-AGM.png

Thank you for you reply.

The chart above is more detailed than the one I have so will print a copy. : )

The fact that it shows a low charge level when the battery is being charged way above 13 volts made me wonder how on earth it could work.

Unless it was some digital magic, the battery would have to be standing some time for the volts to settle.

I have test meters and the voltage shown by the charge controller is correct.

Will look into the other devices you mentioned.

God Bless Chadd.

12.8V is 100% state of charge for FLA's, after resting overnight, no charge or discharge current.
My guess is your charge controller doesn't report that as 100% SOC just before sun-up.
I simply don't utilize my solar controller for battery SOC.

I added a very inexpensive smart shunt and meter from China - the vendor introduced them here on the forum with a discount so I thought I would give it a shot. Several others did too and so far everyone is happy with them. Various shunt throughput capacities are offered, as well as the digital display as an option, as it comes with a BT dongle and a slick app for smartphone. Victron makes a nice one but it's spendy. This is a cheap alternative that works for me. There's good support for it here on the forum too:

Junctek on Aliexpress:

Here's the display mounted in the RV, and a capture of the IOS app screen:

Thank you kindly, I had a look at your other images on Photo Bucket, it looks to be a nice tidy install : )

Beer on tap as well.

I have added some links below to show what I am up to, I hope that is within the forum rules ?

The batteries showed 12.8 last night after a day of no discharge.

If the voltage is an accurate way by using the chart, that should do for now.

The reason being I am close to purchase four 340w - Luxor - mono crystalline at £177 each plus delivery !!!.

Also looking at this for a balcony mount, no price or reply from their head office or UK outlets.: -

So we may have to construct them, they look simple enough.

I have found the correct size of aluminium box section on eBay : )

God Bless Chadd

Last edited:
Good evening from a wet and windy Mullion Cove.

Charge Controller EPEVER Triron 30 amp.

The model number, I cannot see it on the unit or the invoice, possibly TRIRON3210N 3215N ?

After a period of rest from charging via solar it is now 9.15pm, the two 75 amp lead acid flooded batteries in parallel show 12.8 volts

The percentage charge show 62 %, it is always way out.

I have set it to flooded lead acid and the combined battery size.

Tried disconnecting the panel's and the battery to reset.

It always show way low what ever the battery voltage is, unless it is charging in bright sunlight when the battery volts are way over 13.

Thank you for any advice : )

God Bless Chadd
Hi Chad, I take it the 2 epever controllers are charging the same battery? Do these controllers perform ok when the outputs are paralleled? I'm looking at doing the same thing.

Hi Chad, I take it the 2 epever controllers are charging the same battery? Do these controllers perform ok when the outputs are paralleled? I'm looking at doing the same thing.
Good morning Raye we have lots of solar sunshine : )

I now have three controllers and six 135amp cheap leisure batteries.

It is strange how your message arrived as I had just tried paralleling the solar converters last night.

I think I identified the three controllers correctly first, by connecting them separately to set up the inputs, but not sure on that one yet.

The results are that the software display switches randomly between the controllers up to all three ?

I have the interval rate set at 1 second, but that I think means the software just interrogates at that interval.

The switching between the controllers does not appear to be effected by which one is selected, the time interval is radon, 5, 10 seconds all over the place.

The bottom left keeps showing connect errors as well as station started.

It is on the positive side showing all three be it when it feels like it. LOL

It could well be that I have not identified the individual controllers separately ?

Input from some one else who has connected more than one in parallel would be helpful : )

If you try please let me know how you get on thank you.

The batteries are fully charged so it says.

Two of the controllers are connected to panels facing south, the other on to a single panel facing west.

I am not happy at all with the lead acid batteries and will go for lithium soon.

God Bless Chadd

Attachments

• Readings.JPG
    Readings.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I asked the question based on some info I read on SRNE mppt controllers. The 60A version of these have RS485 comms line between them meaning one can be a master with multiple slaves. This means to me that each controller outputs should be in sync with each other? Iv read conflicting reports of some controllers in parallel can hang (they get confused) but I'm not certain on that. I would say in your case let them run one at a time for a short while to detemin correct functionality, do that for all three. Then parallel 2, check on both displays and with a current clamp for a short time and If good then connect the 3rd and do the same ? good luck and report back please.

I asked the question based on some info I read on SRNE mppt controllers. The 60A version of these have RS485 comms line between them meaning one can be a master with multiple slaves. This means to me that each controller outputs should be in sync with each other? Iv read conflicting reports of some controllers in parallel can hang (they get confused) but I'm not certain on that. I would say in your case let them run one at a time for a short while to detemin correct functionality, do that for all three. Then parallel 2, check on both displays and with a current clamp for a short time and If good then connect the 3rd and do the same ? good luck and report back please.
It has started crashing the laptop so have connected to one for now, I read about the controller version that has a comms line.

I am only really interested in the battery volts which I can now monitor from the lounge, though it would have been nice to be able to view all three controllers parameters.

Struggling with cat6 outside cable and connecters at the moment, the individual wires are a very tight fit, even on some new pass-through RJ45 so called cat6 plugs.

Sometimes nothing is easy : )

If I succeed with the controllers I will post to forum, one thing perhaps some kind soul could tell me.

I have set the station names to three different ones, but not the device id box

It has started crashing the laptop so have connected to one for now, I read about the controller version that has a comms line.

I am only really interested in the battery volts which I can now monitor from the lounge, though it would have been nice to be able to view all three controllers parameters.

Struggling with cat6 outside cable and connecters at the moment, the individual wires are a very tight fit, even on some new pass-through RJ45 so called cat6 plugs.

If I succeed with the controllers I will post to forum, one thing perhaps some kind soul could tell me.

The device id's are probably the RS485 addresses, they need to be unique, 1,2,3. This maybe your crash issue.

How did you get on with the controller addressing? any news on if they work OK in parallel?
Good morning on this sunny day. : )

I had other cabling and sorting of webcams over USB Cat6 converters, for my saterlite dishes to get up and running.

I shall get round to it soon.

Watch this space but do not hold your breath : ) God Bless Chadd

Attachments

• Solar Chart.JPG
    Solar Chart.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 3

Jethro Tull "Nothing Is Easy"

Back