diy solar

diy solar

Charge controller for my planed system

Desert wings

Hey everyone new guy here.
I’am a full time RVer planning on putting a system on my roof and going lithium batteries.
My plan is based on available roof space 3x410 watt Trina panels = 1230 watts 153 volts
I’am having some issues deciding on a controller I want to use Victron.
My issue is the voltage is 3volts too high for the controller I wanted but amps and watts are in range.
Will this 3 volts matter to the controller or cause a issue?
The next side up is specs way over what I need.

My plan is based on available roof space 3x410 watt Trina panels = 1230 watts 153 volts
I’am having some issues deciding on a controller I want to use Victron.
My issue is the voltage is 3volts too high for the controller I wanted but amps and watts are in range.
Will this 3 volts matter to the controller or cause a issue?
The next side up is specs way over what I need.
So 51Voc panels?
That 3V over is at 75°f but you have to allow for Voc going up at lower temps.
If you get 30° morning temps with clear sunny skies that Voc will go up to 168Voc.

Is your battery 12V or 24V?

Ok thanks that just got really expensive. Lol
Saying I need a 250/85 sounds a little out of had.

Last edited:
Trina 250s. 37 v open. Cal it 40. Times 3 120 v.
Victron or epever controller.

Desert wings eh.

Welcome to lots of reading .make sure you get some sleep.

Coincidently going through the exact same thing. What is the Imp of the panels?

Putting up 3 410 watt Trinsa I came up with about 8.6 Amps.
Can’t figure out why my amps fit so many controllers but the voltage sends them into the expensive seats.
See 40 amp systems on much smaller controllers.
Thinking I may go with A EPEver they sound like a good product I kind of need the blue tooth controller. I’am away from my RV for long periods of time.

I run 2 epever with bluetooth in the shop. 24v system. 2 flawless years now

I run 2 epever with bluetooth in the shop. 24v system. 2 flawless years now
Good to know thx.
That is a thought breaking them down and run 2 controllers don’t know if would have any affect on batteries or even feasible?
Going to start with 2 lithium and expand to 4 over time.

Putting up 3 410 watt Trinsa I came up with about 8.6 Amps.
Can’t figure out why my amps fit so many controllers but the voltage sends them into the expensive seats.
See 40 amp systems on much smaller controllers.
3 x 410w is 1230w on a 12V battery needs about a 100A SCC.
Yeah 51Voc panels in 3 Series don't work with 150V max input SCC.
4 panels would work as 2S2P

3 x 410w is 1230w on a 12V battery needs about a 100A SCC.
Yeah 51Voc panels in 3 Series don't work with 150V max input SCC.
4 panels would work as 2S2P
Thx for that
I loose to much space on my RV roof using 4 instead of 3. May have to down size to 320 watt panels. It would still keep me on the good side of my max AH usage.

How do charge controllers deal with a fully charged battery? Where does the energy from the panels go?
Many years ago with the sun up I disconnected my FLA from the controller and inverter. I was panicked to see 90v on the inverter
input (it was off). Used an electric drill to discharge the voltage.

Well after a long search I found a controller that will handle my proposed 1230 watt 153 volt system. EPEver has a 200 volt 600 watt 80 amp one.
Thank you guys for your input and help with this. Sure I’ll be along to ask more novice questions.

Well after a long search I found a controller that will handle my proposed 1230 watt 153 volt system. EPEver has a 200 volt 600 watt 80 amp one.
Thank you guys for your input and help with this. Sure I’ll be along to ask more novice questions.
What's the the model # of that Epever and sales link?

Tracer 8420 AN 80 amp.
It should meet my needs looking for the plug in Bluetooth attachment can’t find it everyone out of stock.

Back