diy solar

diy solar

chargerverter chargers to higher voltage than inverter?

SolarScott

Solar Enthusiast
Today I took some time to try and equalize all four of my lifepower4 batteries. One or two always seems to show a little less of a charge according to the lights. Used solar from the inverters to charge one at a time until they showed full at the light bar. Close to sundown, two were a still a little behind, so I used my chargerverter to top them off. When charging from the inverters, I use the "USE" setting and 56.2 volts and 54 float. I have never seen the batteries show more than 54.1 or 54.2 indicated by the inverters. When using the chargerverter set at 56.2, the inverters showed 55 volts when all four lights were lit up on the batteries. Pleas explain to an ignorant man what this means.

Coming from somewhat of a 'rookie' I suspect the inverters were reading a higher voltage from the DC, battery, bus since you were supplying it from the chargeverter.
When you charge from solar the inverters don't see the same voltage since the source isn't on that same DC bus.

I don't think it's best practice to charge packs individually like that if they are still connected to the bus bar since you'll have a large amount of current flowing, if voltages aren't very close, while they attempt to equalize as you flip breakers on and off.

Coming from somewhat of a 'rookie' I suspect the inverters were reading a higher voltage from the DC, battery, bus since you were supplying it from the chargeverter.
When you charge from solar the inverters don't see the same voltage since the source isn't on that same DC bus.

I don't think it's best practice to charge packs individually like that if they are still connected to the bus bar since you'll have a large amount of current flowing, if voltages aren't very close, while they attempt to equalize as you flip breakers on and off.
They all four read 54 volts with a volt meter.....just don't light up the same number of lights.

They all four read 54 volts with a volt meter.....just don't light up the same number of lights.
Trust the volt meter, not the lights.
You didn't say what make and model your batteries are so we can't know what "the lights" mean. That sounds like some simple display on your batteries, which is going to be way less trustworthy than a reasonable multimeter.

Last edited:
Back