diy solar

diy solar

Chargery Inrush Problem

munro

My system has a 220 vac Aims 4000 watt inverter connected to a 540 amp hour lithium iron phosphate battery with a chargery bms with a 300 amp dcc. Runs fine until I use circular saw or table saw. Inrush trips bms on high discharge. I have the system connected to a 6500 Honda generator. So i start generator transfer load and leave it on while I’m working. I was wondering if anybody has found an ingenious way of soft starting tools or a way to limit inrush.

I never had issues with start up surges tripping the Chargery BMS' ~but~ I was running multiple packs in parallel @ 24V with BMS8T's & 300A DCC's. That setup even handed my 120V MIG Welder and 3HP Compressor and both of those have huge surge pulls. The compressor was actually worse than the MIG because it would kick on with 70PSI in the tank and it needed a big "oomph" to compensate against the pressure.

Tablesaw, chop saw, mitre saw (12") etc were never an issue but again I believe the paralleled battery packs had a lot to do with that as that divides the load between the packs.

There are SoftStart modules available for many things, I think the Table Saw is a likely candidate to use one but circular saw and such I don't think it's possible. My "hand power tools" like drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw etc are all DeWalt Battery models so I can't speak to the corded types.

I never had issues with start up surges tripping the Chargery BMS' ~but~ I was running multiple packs in parallel @ 24V with BMS8T's & 300A DCC's. That setup even handed my 120V MIG Welder and 3HP Compressor and both of those have huge surge pulls. The compressor was actually worse than the MIG because it would kick on with 70PSI in the tank and it needed a big "oomph" to compensate against the pressure.

Tablesaw, chop saw, mitre saw (12") etc were never an issue but again I believe the paralleled battery packs had a lot to do with that as that divides the load between the packs.

There are SoftStart modules available for many things, I think the Table Saw is a likely candidate to use one but circular saw and such I don't think it's possible. My "hand power tools" like drill, circular saw, reciprocating saw etc are all DeWalt Battery models so I can't speak to the corded types.
Thanks Steve. I looked through this forum before building and know that you are the guy when it comes to the chargery bms. I have the BMS16T. 600 amp shunt but a 300 amp DCC. I cranked up the discharge trip to 600 and time to 10 seconds but it still tripped on high discharge. I think it trips instantaneously as the inrush saturates shunt. Generally the system powers a fridge and bunch of lights. Feeds main distribution panel at my camp in Northern Ontario. Yes another battery supply would alleviate my problem. But I built the battery for portability and I bring it when I go up to camp. Then bring it back before those Northern Winters kick in. So far the chargery has worked perfectly with the inverter and charge controller. It doesn’t do it every time but once it starts it is continuous. I was wondering if I went to the 600 amp DCC if that would help. If the trip is driven by the shunt current and not an overload of the DCC then going to the 600 won’t help my problem. I’ve got 4/0 DLO on the battery side so it’s good for 400 continuous and inverter rated 12000 watts instantaneous so that’s good too but the BMS just doesn’t like what it sees on an inductive motor start . I was hoping somebody must have had the same issue off grid and had found some gem of a soft start to use or nifty setting to adjust. I’ve been looking at the Raymond Innovation soft starts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And I chose 12 volts to keep it simple for the kids. Battery fails easy to change out to lead acid and keep lights and fridge on. Although the LiFe has been awesome.

I'm near Algonquin Park.
If you want a Chargery BMS8T-300 with 300A DCC Cheap, send me a PM, I have 6 of them as I changed my BMS Fleet to JK-BMS', I still have a new one in boxes too (was my spare). I also have a bunch of QNBBM-8S Active Balancers that were used with the Chargery's.

I dunno how you got to 580AH but likely did paralleled cells. If that is the case it would likely be more prudent to change that to two simple 12V/4S packs so they can split the loads you are demanding from them.

220VAC ??? WHUT ??? Canada = 240V 60Hz (Split Phase) or 120V 60Hz (Single Phase) we don't do 220V which is A-Typically EU or Asia AND it's 50Hz which cannot handle a 60Hz device.

Some electric motors have higher inrush current relative to running amps than others. I think Baldor has some specific lines of electric motors with low inrush requirements.

I'm near Algonquin Park.
If you want a Chargery BMS8T-300 with 300A DCC Cheap, send me a PM, I have 6 of them as I changed my BMS Fleet to JK-BMS', I still have a new one in boxes too (was my spare). I also have a bunch of QNBBM-8S Active Balancers that were used with the Chargery's.

I dunno how you got to 580AH but likely did paralleled cells. If that is the case it would likely be more prudent to change that to two simple 12V/4S packs so they can split the loads you are demanding from them.

220VAC ??? WHUT ??? Canada = 240V 60Hz (Split Phase) or 120V 60Hz (Single Phase) we don't do 220V which is A-Typically EU or Asia AND it's 50Hz which cannot handle a 60Hz device.
Your right it’s 240 and it will do 50 hz . I set it to 60 when I got it. Also has a 115 amp dc charger on it. And I did parallel my cells. I went with the 240!vac option so i would not have to jumper my distribution panel. ESA frowns on that. Not that I got it inspected but old habits die hard. It has a sleeper option on it that looks to see if no load is on it then goes to sleep and pulses looking for load.

I was looking for the same solution. Looked here and at other forums. Even spoke to tech support at some controls companies. The only way to soft start an induction motor like on a table saw was to get a 3-phase motor and a VFD

Back