diy solar

diy solar

Charging a 48v battery with 24v MPPT?

BartonB

My current inverter is a hybrid all-in-one inverter
The so I prefer not to discard it.
I can get 24v lifepo4 batteries but from a size / space / price / efficiency perspective, i prefer a 48v(51.2v)
Is there a way?

Thanks!

Well even if you can charge it which is not ideal since stepping up to charge it is going to waste power during the conversion you would have to converter again back down to run the 24v all in one you have again costing power.

Better off just going 48v if that is your goal and its a good goal since the here the dc volts the better the efficiency inverter wise with a new 48v all in one.

My current inverter is a hybrid all-in-one inverter
The so I prefer not to discard it.
I can get 24v lifepo4 batteries but from a size / space / price / efficiency perspective, i prefer a 48v(51.2v)
Is there a way?

Thanks!

No sorry it's not really feasible

Thanks @SamG340 and @Crowz
I got my answer

A follow up question - getting 2 24v batteries and series them now (until the current inverter dies, he is 4 years old bless his heart),
and in the future parallel them for an 48v system will be as efficient as a 48v one? (48v 1 bms large pack vs 24v 2 bms 2 packs)

Thanks @SamG340 and @Crowz
I got my answer

A follow up question - getting 2 24v batteries and series them now (until the current inverter dies, he is 4 years old bless his heart),
and in the future parallel them for an 48v system will be as efficient as a 48v one? (48v 1 bms large pack vs 24v 2 bms 2 packs)
Other way around

Series for 48v
Parallel for 24v

Make sure your batteries are rated for use in series, not all pre-build lithium are

Other way around

Series for 48v
Parallel for 24v

Make sure your batteries are rated for use in series, not all pre-build lithium are
Yes I knew that and had a brain fart while typing, thank you!

So is there a noticable difference between 2X 24v VS 1X 48v?

Yes I knew that and had a brain fart while typing, thank you!

So is there a noticable difference between 2X 24v VS 1X 48v?

the only issue is 24v pre built lithium batteries is 48v might be too high for them to handle, they do not always have a BMS suitable for 48v operation, some do , some don't , you'll have to read the datasheet/ask the seller

Last edited:
Back