diy solar

diy solar

Charging a Lithium ion battery with another lithium ion battery

CalebWetts

Hello all,

I live in my Mercedes sprinter conversion with 1kw of solar and 15kw of 48v battery storage. I have 4 48v batteries that I use for ebikes. These add to 3kw of battery and is portable. I can charge this portable set up while I go into work (I have a small 48v charger for this). I would like to be able to plug the freshly charged 3kw 48v battery into my larger 48v when I get home everyday to charge the battery bank. Would there be a way to safely connect the 3kw battery to the bus bars without creating a huge surge of energy damaging to the batteries? I imagine I would need a way to limit the discharge current of the 3kw battery. Can anyone think of a way to safely and conveniently make this work?

Thank you!

Even though they are both 48v batteries- are they the exact same chemistry? LiFePO4?

My recommendation would be to find a 48v to 48v Dc-Dc charger. That way there is some separation and control of the charging cycle.

Victron makes one Orion-TR 48/48-8a 360w.

I am using a 12v one on my MotorHome and it works great - I have the smart model which allows adjusting via Bluetooth on the phone (and reporting voltage on the phone too). If that’s available it is worth it.

Yes, they are the exact same batteries just more/less in parallel. I did not think about that, thank you!

Back