diy solar

diy solar

Charging Batteries

I didn't have enough sun to charge anymore than that
On a couple of occasions(just recently) the batteries have run done and no sun to bring them back so the charger (MPP LV6548)kicked in and charged the batteries back to 100% off the grid by having the LV6548 plugged in to the grid.

?? Doesn't the grid charge you back up?

Edit to say: in your first post on this thread, you said your inverter was connected to the grid. So why then didn’t the grid charge your battery when you later had not enough sun? Or did the grid go down for multiple days and we all missed that point?

Last edited:
With the comments you have made it's likely that your batteries have never been charged to 100% and that's why they have the disparity you've observed.
You should post all of your settings for your inverter/charger, solar charge controller. Model numbers are helpful also.

Bms has a lvd, but the inverter needs to shut off BEFORE that point with its lvd.
So, if the bms has 2.5V per cell emergency shut down, the inverter should stop well before that point, say, 2.8 or so...
I'm working with 51.2v batteries

I don't know anything about your batteries, but one of the best tools you can buy is a 60v adjustable bench power supply.

Used in conjunction with a timer switch you can set (for example) 55v for 2hrs.
Any chance you could point me in the direction of a 60v adjustable bench power supply and timer switch. I have 4 nice hard working 51.2 LifeP04 batteries. I don't want to destroy them . 20230608_214937.jpgI try to run my household on this battery. Yesterdays sun brought the battery up roughly 60% SOC. Now to night they have run down . The MPP LV6548 Inverter is now charging them off grid. Not grid tied but grid connected. I see that the top 2 batteries discharged to least 5 or 6% SOC. the lower 2 are at 57 and 63% . All 4 batteries are at 52 point something volts. Is individually charging these batteries with a bench power supply going to help with this problem. I shouldn't say I try to run the household on these 4 Batteries and 8 465w Bifacial Panels. We do run the house for nearly a year now with this system. We have had a lot of winter cloud the last month.

Last edited:
Any chance you could point me in the direction of a 60v adjustable bench power supply and timer switch. I have 4 nice hard working 51.2 LifeP04 batteries. I don't want to destroy them . View attachment 180746I try to run my household on this battery. Yesterdays sun brought the battery up roughly 60% SOC. Now to night they have run down . The MPP LV6548 Inverter is now charging them off grid. Not grid tied but grid connected. I see that the top 2 batteries discharged to least 5 or 6% SOC. the lower 2 are at 57 and 63% . All 4 batteries are at 52 point something volts. Is individually charging these batteries with a bench power supply going to help with this problem. I shouldn't say I try to run the household on these 4 Batteries and 8 465w Bifacial Panels. We do run the house for nearly a year now with this system. We have had a lot of winter cloud the last month.
Thankyou, have a 60v 5a bench power supply charging my Battery tonight. Working very well.

Back