diy solar

diy solar

Charging LiFEPO4 battery bank with generator

acecard

Hi all,

I have a 16S 48V LiFEPO4 battery bank, connected to a 3kW solar array mounted on my truck roof, and a 5kW all-in-one Iconica inverter/charger. I am just finding out that despite my efforts to install as large a solar system onto my truck as possible, I may still need to give my battery bank a little boost during days of continuous grey, wet weather (UK based). My all-in-one inverter unit has the ability, like most, to plug into some form of external AC input, so, the obvious answer here is to have a back up generator. However, I am very low on space, and the manufacturer recommendation to have a generator twice the rated inverter output (i.e. 10kW!) is just not practical! I need to be able to get by on something around the 2-3kW mark.

I understand that the recommendation for a generator to be double the inverters output kWs is to be able to cope with demand and charging at the same time, however, I only want a generator to charge the batteries and not get involved in meeting output demand. So, my thoughts were to try to create a workaround. My Iconica unit allows me to set priorities for output source. If I set the output source proirities to solar first, battery next, utility last (SBU), then in theory, as long as my battery bank were kept sufficiently topped up, the generator would never be called upon to provide power, meaning that it would only have to be capable of meeting the charging demand, is that correct?

If I set the output source proirities to solar first, battery next, utility last (SBU), then in theory, as long as my battery bank were kept sufficiently topped up, the generator would never be called upon to provide power, meaning that it would only have to be capable of meeting the charging demand, is that correct?

No.

Your inverter/charger is both, but only ONE at a time. It can't invert AND charge at the same time as the same circuitry is used for both.

If it is being supplied with AC input, it passes that through to loads and charges with it.

The only way you can make do with an undersized generator is if you also decrease your loads so that loads + charge are less than 80% of generator output.

No.

Your inverter/charger is both, but only ONE at a time. It can't invert AND charge at the same time as the same circuitry is used for both.

If it is being supplied with AC input, it passes that through to loads and charges with it.

The only way you can make do with an undersized generator is if you also decrease your loads so that loads + charge are less than 80% of generator output.
Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. Is there then a way that I can connect the generator to the batteries separate to the inverter, through some kind of charging unit so that I can use it only for charging and the inverter can continue to operate normally?

Ok, thanks for clearing that up for me. Is there then a way that I can connect the generator to the batteries separate to the inverter, through some kind of charging unit so that I can use it only for charging and the inverter can continue to operate normally?

Yes. You simply need a 48V charger powered by AC.

Signature Solar has an 18A charger:

MeanWell makes a higher power charger for about 2-3X that might be more available in the UK than getting something from Sig Solar:

RPB-1600-48

48V chargers are pretty spendy.

Thanks. I'm actually now thinking about using a battery charger like above in conjunction with my engine alternator.......save me buying a Genny myself and having to find somewhere to put it!!

Would one have to disconnect the battery bank from the inverter unit before using the 48v charger?

Back