diy solar

diy solar

Charging milk crate system from car

Carmenb1059

I'm thinking about building the milk crate solar power system from the Will Prowse YouTube video and using it to power a teardrop camper. In his video the battery was charged from solar panels or 120v - any thoughts on how it could also be set up to change from the car when I'm driving.

Look into using a DC-DC charger to handle alternator charging. Victron, Kisae, Renogy, RedArc, Sterling are the brands that come to mind.

The Victron units are real nice, costly, but worth the money. I'm going to be using one to manage my battery bank on my RV while driving, but a 12 to 24 volt as I'm building a 24-volt system as opposed to 12. That way, I can be traveling with the A/C on and put back in the batteries what I'm using. I have solar for the day and the alternator, and it will be the alternator alone at night. I can also charge from a 30A shore power connection too. Another difference is that I'm using a second alternator to not overload/overwork my chassis alternator for this. Is that kind of what you had in mind?

Back