diy solar

diy solar

Charging single cell

magnet

Hey guys, I recently purchased 16 used cells im building in a 13kw battery, anyway, I bought a bench power supply so I can top balance the cells. I understand you first use constant current then switch to constant voltage to finish charging.i set my voltage to 4.1v on the supply, connected it to a cell and it started charging at constant current at 4.3v 10.3amps. is it ok for the charge voltage to be higher than the cell can take? Or is the maximum cell voltage the maximum charged state? I don't want to f these batteries up. Also, the reason I'm charging single cells is because none of them are at the same SOC, and when I went to connect them in series I was getting sparks and a warm wire (I knew something was amiss right away). Is there a better/faster way to get all the cells at a similar SOC? Thanks

Attachments

• 17063007964083531899517599895892.jpg
    17063007964083531899517599895892.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 6
The picture was a lithium ion cell. Thecells I want to charge are lifepo4. When I connected that cell to the PSU I set the voltage to 3.65, now I saw the PSU climb to 4.22 volts and I stopped it because I'm not sure that's right. I took the cells apart, I think I had the wiring fed on the series thinking about it now

The picture was a lithium ion cell. Thecells I want to charge are lifepo4. When I connected that cell to the PSU I set the voltage to 3.65, now I saw the PSU climb to 4.22 volts and I stopped it because I'm not sure that's right. I took the cells apart, I think I had the wiring fed on the series thinking about it now
You need to set the voltage on the Power Supply to 3.65V (or whatever maximum you want) with nothing attached to the leads, I.e., an open circuit.
Then you can attach a cell. The displayed voltage will decrease to whatever voltage the cell is currently at. Do not adjust the voltage while the cell is attached! That’s a recipe for damaging the cell.

The picture was a lithium ion cell.
Looks like a bench top charger, cannot see what is in background.

When I connected that cell to the PSU I set the voltage to 3.65, now I saw the PSU climb to 4.22 volts and I stopped it because I'm not sure that's right.
You NEED to set the voltage BEFORE connecting to the battery or else you get what you got.

Back