diy solar

diy solar

Charging speed (bottom balancing) 14A instead of 24A

solarrig

i'm totally confused.
I have RIDEN 24A charger. I can charge at 3.65V and 24A speed.

My LiFePO4 cells arrived at 3.29 and 3.30V. This means they are far away from full.
I connected 16 of these cell together (all positives together and all negatives together), so i have one very large 3V battery. Cells are 280Ah @1C charge and 1C discharge, this at my understanding means that i can charge and discharge them at ~280A.

When connected my charger for top balancing, set 3.65V (battery state 3.30V) i was expected to have all 24A flowing to the battery. But in the beginning it was charging at ~14A , now (after 3 days), it is charging at 11,6A. WHY?
Why batteries are not accepting more power? They should accept 280A (or 1C).

2nd question, my inverter can charge at 100A. So how the hell it will push those 100A, if i cannot put 24A?

Attachments

• RIDEN RD6024..JPG
    RIDEN RD6024..JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 3
LFP cells have low internal resistance and will easily accept current in excess of what is recommended. Often with bench top charging/balancing using small gauge wire and alligator clips the current is much less than if heavier gauge wire with solid ring terminal connections were used.

Recommend checking voltage at both the power supply terminals and the batteries to determine if the readout on the charger is accurate or if there is significant voltage drop in the wiring.

Often with bench top charging/balancing using small gauge wire and alligator clips the current is much less than if heavier gauge wire with solid ring terminal connections were used.

How the hell i could miss that!! :D
When was buying this bench charger, i've ordered it with 25A cables. So i was sure, that all ok with cables. But you are right, alligator clips have very small area of contact. Replaced now with 7AWG cable with ring terminals, and can push all 24A.

can't believe i've made this mistake...

Thank you and have a nice day!

Back